2017 HotSpring Limelight Glow Heater Leak

Nov 18, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Hey all,
I have a 2017 Limelight with the ACE Swcg. It looks like I have a small leak at the heater that I am trying to diagnose.

I tested the white stuff and it looks to be salt with Taylor kit. FYI I added the ACE after the fact and use the Scepter Salt Cell. It "feels" to me like the salt corroded the heater, but it could just be a leak and the salt accumulated at that point.
I maintain the following water chemistry: FC 7.5 PH 7.6-7.8 TA 50-75 CH 150 Salt 1400-1800 CYA 30 Temp 100 BOR 40. I did have a few runaway chlorine events of FC > 50 that lasted 30 days plus (its a vacation home tub) before i got the ACE dialed in. Now it is 7.5 every time I arrive like clock work. Occasionally the PH gets close to 8, but as I dialed in the TA it has stayed pretty close to normal even when left alone.

I am trying to figure out if the heater is toast or can be repaired. I don't mind technical work if required.

Thanks in Advance
- Smith

Attachments

• PXL_20210410_142724892.jpg
    PXL_20210410_142724892.jpg
    338.8 KB · Views: 5
  • PXL_20210410_142730963.jpg
    PXL_20210410_142730963.jpg
    317.2 KB · Views: 5
I would guess that the high sanitizer levels wreaked havoc on your o-rings. The heater is a minor problem compared to the jet gaskets, which would also have been damaged, just not enough to leak yet.
Repeated overheat conditions from restricted flow can also do this to a heater.
The fact that you read salt from the buildup is just because the salt stays behind as the water evaporates. It had no direct part in this issue. You would find it to be calcium if you didn't have salt in there.
I have seen where some people remove that heater end cap and replace it with 3/4" tubing. To my knowledge they do not sell those o-rings independently and I do not know if you can find a generic that will work.

Reactions: smithlevenson
I would guess that the high sanitizer levels wreaked havoc on your o-rings. The heater is a minor problem compared to the jet gaskets, which would also have been damaged, just not enough to leak yet.
Repeated overheat conditions from restricted flow can also do this to a heater.
The fact that you read salt from the buildup is just because the salt stays behind as the water evaporates. It had no direct part in this issue. You would find it to be calcium if you didn't have salt in there.
I have seen where some people remove that heater end cap and replace it with 3/4" tubing. To my knowledge they do not sell those o-rings independently and I do not know if you can find a generic that will work.
AWESOME! Thanks for the info and quick reply. I think for ~$299 a new heater isn't a huge problem.

I will check the jet body seals and see if they are damaged. That would indeed be a bigger problem.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.