Attaching two pieces of solar cover...ideas?

Melt In The Sun

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Oct 29, 2009
Tucson, AZ
Hi all,
I am stupid, and bought a solar cover about 3 feet too short :oops:. For a while, I just used the material I cut off the sides to cover the far end, but I'd like to attach it to the rest of the cover so I reel it all up without having to deal with two pieces.

I tried using 3M spray glue, since that stuff usually sticks anything to anything! It held for a couple weeks, but has started to come apart. Has anyone done successfully done this :?: Ideally I would melt the two pieces together (like the manufacturers do), but I can't think of any way to do that myself.

Gorilla glue or Boxer Glue? We used Gorilla Glue as backup for our strap attachments (rivits) but dang, that stuff hasn't budged 5 years in - where we put it together on the solar blanket it is still stuck like the day we put it there.

Richard320 said:
I suppose you could try sewing the pieces together...

That was my next suggestion. Other than that I can only suggest perhaps putting some small grommets at intervals on both sides of the split and putting some poly string/rope ties through to tie it together.

Hey MITS,

Did you ever finish this? I already ordered grommets before looking here. I was planning on using the grommets with string as NWMNMom suggested, but the grommet package states that they can go through multiple layers. Now I am debating using the grommets as sutures of sorts with each grommet punched through both layers and holding them together. Just wondering what you ended up with and how it worked.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
4 inch wide flex tape is the ticket. I joined two 15 x 40 covers to cover my 15 x 75 pool. One secret: There are seams from the factory that form a tab (hard to explain) that runs long ways on the covers. Do not tape these tabs down flat, it will cause a leak and eventually failure of the seam. Instead tape on both sides of the tab including the tab itself and it won't leak. Hard to explain but it is important.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.