Clorine levels and SWG % output Pump run time

Hurricane Gio

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 6, 2010
Coral Gables, FL
It seems like my SWG is keeping the TC levels too high.

I tested again today and the TC is 7.5 with a CYA of 70.

The SWG was set at 7% and the run time on high filter is 3 hrs with a low speed of 21 hrs.

Now from what I get, high sped time and % both help in getting chlorine generated.

So should I lower my high-speed run time or bring the % down?

Thanks!

Melt In The Sun said:
Are you sure it's only generating on high speed, not on low speed as well? You do have a big cell on a small pool, so having a low % makes sense.

I am not sure. does it generate on low-sped as well? I will look into the manual.
its the standard cell my PB uses. I see from other research it is big.

I have a similiar setup. My pump runtime is about 5 hours. Currently my setting is at 20%, giving me about 5 ppm FC. I like to run with a slightly high FC as I have fewer issues. You might want to look at cutting down on your overall pump run time.

Most definitely the SWG will generate on low speed of a 1.5 Hp Whisperflo. So you are generating 24 hours per day. You are adding about 1.5 ppm per day so the chlorine extinction is about 20% which is reasonable. Dropping to 4% should get you closer to 4 ppm.

Why are you running the pump 24 hrs/day? Consider that, if your pump averages 6 amps draw at 240 volts, and if your power cost is around $0.10 /kwhr, you can save about $50/month by cutting your pump time down to 12 hrs and leave your SWG at 7 or 8%. (The SWG will only draw about 1 amp.) You'll also help save the planet and all that good stuff.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.