Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Clorine levels and SWG % output Pump run time

1. Back To Top    #1

Clorine levels and SWG % output Pump run time

It seems like my SWG is keeping the TC levels too high.

I tested again today and the TC is 7.5 with a CYA of 70.

The SWG was set at 7% and the run time on high filter is 3 hrs with a low speed of 21 hrs.

Now from what I get, high sped time and % both help in getting chlorine generated.

So should I lower my high-speed run time or bring the % down?

Thanks!
    8,000 Gal, 11 x 26.8ft Shotcrete Pool with "Cool Blue" Diamond Brite by ESSIG Pools with Artistic Pavers Deck
    Goldine AQL-PLUS w/Aqua Pod, Aqua-Rite T-CELL-15 SWG, Pentair WhisperFlo High Performance 1.5HP, 2 speed pump, Pentair IntelliBrite,
    Pentair 100sqft Cartridge Filter, 6 Pool returns, Skimmer and 2 Anti-Vortex Main Drains
    Pool's completed build 2/2010

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Clorine levels and SWG % output Pump run time

Are you sure it's only generating on high speed, not on low speed as well? You do have a big cell on a small pool, so having a low % makes sense.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Melt In The Sun
    Are you sure it's only generating on high speed, not on low speed as well? You do have a big cell on a small pool, so having a low % makes sense.
    I am not sure. does it generate on low-sped as well? I will look into the manual.
    its the standard cell my PB uses. I see from other research it is big.
    8,000 Gal, 11 x 26.8ft Shotcrete Pool with "Cool Blue" Diamond Brite by ESSIG Pools with Artistic Pavers Deck
    Goldine AQL-PLUS w/Aqua Pod, Aqua-Rite T-CELL-15 SWG, Pentair WhisperFlo High Performance 1.5HP, 2 speed pump, Pentair IntelliBrite,
    Pentair 100sqft Cartridge Filter, 6 Pool returns, Skimmer and 2 Anti-Vortex Main Drains

4. Back To Top    #4

Just shut the SWG off for a day or so until the level drops, then turn it on a low %.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

5. Back To Top    #5

You could just look at the control panel when your pump's on low, and see if it's generating. Your automation may be able to control how long the SWG runs even if the pump is on 24/7.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

6. Back To Top    #6

Well I read the manual and it will generate salt as long as the pump is on. High or low. I tuned the SWG and will run at 2% until I need to raise. That seemed right before thew PS screw up.

7. Back To Top    #7

I have a similiar setup. My pump runtime is about 5 hours. Currently my setting is at 20%, giving me about 5 ppm FC. I like to run with a slightly high FC as I have fewer issues. You might want to look at cutting down on your overall pump run time.
    7,500 gal, IG pool, L shape 22' x 15', 1.5 hp pump, cartridge filter, AquaPlus SWG/Controller, Pebble-Tec liner.

8. Back To Top    #8

Most definitely the SWG will generate on low speed of a 1.5 Hp Whisperflo. So you are generating 24 hours per day. You are adding about 1.5 ppm per day so the chlorine extinction is about 20% which is reasonable. Dropping to 4% should get you closer to 4 ppm.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by mas985
    Most definitely the SWG will generate on low speed of a 1.5 Hp Whisperflo. So you are generating 24 hours per day. You are adding about 1.5 ppm per day so the chlorine extinction is about 20% which is reasonable. Dropping to 4% should get you closer to 4 ppm.
    Great, thanks

10. Back To Top    #10

Why are you running the pump 24 hrs/day? Consider that, if your pump averages 6 amps draw at 240 volts, and if your power cost is around $0.10 /kwhr, you can save about $50/month by cutting your pump time down to 12 hrs and leave your SWG at 7 or 8%. (The SWG will only draw about 1 amp.) You'll also help save the planet and all that good stuff.
    16x32 IG vinyl liner, ~19K gallon, built with my own blood, sweat, & tears!
    1 hp Water Ace pump, Goldline Aqua-Rite 40K SWG
    300# Hayward sand filter, dual skimmers, pool open 12 mos/yr