Is this pump ok?

Others will add their opinions soon I'm sure, but to me, I think that you probably don't need that large of a pump for your setup. Having a two-speed is a good thing, but I would think that you could probably go with a 1 HP two speed pump that would be cheaper to run and serve you quite well.

257WbyMag said:
Others will add their opinions soon I'm sure, but to me, I think that you probably don't need that large of a pump for your setup. Having a two-speed is a good thing, but I would think that you could probably go with a 1 HP two speed pump that would be cheaper to run and serve you quite well.

Why do you have 2HP if you have a smaller pool then mine? ((Not being a smart alec, I'm truly wondering - I don't know these things!!!))

I really don't think I want to go smaller b/c I'd hate to buy a 1HP and discover it's not big enough and have to go buy another 2HP pump too. I think I REALLY need that power to keep the water moving on the other end of the pool since I don't have another return down there (and won't get one this year anyway). And, if I add another return down there someday, I do feel like I'll really need the 2HP to push the water 40' through a hose, KWIM?

I dunno.

I have the 1.5 hp pump. Its the same but .5 hp smaller. It works well. I agree I think a 1 or 1.5 hp would do you just fine. The pump is quite and so far has been working well. I do know that "Waterway" makes a standard and a Hi Flow version. Mine says its the Hi Flow so I can't compare it to a standard pump or if there is really a difference.

Tim

Do as I say and not as I do. :mrgreen: Just kidding! :-D

Well, the reason that we have a 2 HP on my little pool is because that is what the builder installed when the pool was built. We bought the house with the pool in place and so we really had no say in it.

Many pool builders purposely install oversize pumps in their builds. I am not sure why. I'm kinda looking forward to it finally giving out so that I can replace it with a two-speed 3/4 HP and save some $$$ on the electric bill.

If you'll look at Jason Lion's signature line above, you will notice that he has a 20K gallon pool with a 3/4 HP pump. Jason has forgotten more about pools than I will probably ever know and his 3/4 HP pump is no accident. What I have noticed since arriving at TFP a couple of years ago is that it isn't so much the pump size that is important, but the filter efficiency. We encourage people to go smaller on pumps and larger on the filter and we do so for the sake of saving money and being more efficient.

That pump that you have selected will work, but is likely more than you need. There are times when it is good to get a little more HP such as if you are running several water features (slide, waterfalls or descents) or if you have a suction side cleaner. You also may need a little extra if your equipment pad is located in a fairly remote location from the pool. Generally speaking though, most probably don't need as much pump as the builder chose to install.

I have a 22K gallon inground pool and Im running a .5HP (yes, half a horsepower) NorthStar pump.

There is a lot to look at when choosing a pump. How much plumbing (not as important in an AG pool), the efficiency of the pump, the efficiency of the motor (up-rated vs full-rated, service factor), the efficiency of the filter, etc. Originally the pool had a 1.5HP SuperPump....I bought the same to replace it, then thought better about it and got the Northstar. Our liner installer laughed at my "dinky .5 HP pump", then he saw it run.

You are in the best place possible to make an informed decision, just keep reading around here :)

chrisexv6 said:
I have a 22K gallon inground pool and Im running a .5HP (yes, half a horsepower) NorthStar pump.

There is a lot to look at when choosing a pump. How much plumbing (not as important in an AG pool), the efficiency of the pump, the efficiency of the motor (up-rated vs full-rated, service factor), the efficiency of the filter, etc. Originally the pool had a 1.5HP SuperPump....I bought the same to replace it, then thought better about it and got the Northstar. Our liner installer laughed at my "dinky .5 HP pump", then he saw it run.

You are in the best place possible to make an informed decision, just keep reading around here :)
HAHA 1/2HP that's funny to read it! :-D But we all know going big does nothing but increase pipe-water friction 4 fold everytime we double the flow/HP. DOWN grading size will upgrade efficience/lower the elec bill. I switched from a Pentair 1.5HPx1.47SF=2.2THP pump turning the pool in 3 hours to a Neiko Tools 1HP pump off the net for 109.99+free shipping and it turns the pool every 6 3/4 hours while consuming 25% LESS electricity as the Pentair AND all 5 returns kick out a nice flow of water still. SMALLER RULES!

BTW did you get your 1/2HP pump from Northern? I bought a pressure washer from them several years back and they said they make the motors themselves under the Northernstar or Northstar brand.

Actually NorthStar is a Hayward model name. I dont know how they do it, but it pumps massive amounts of water with very little horsepower behind it (Im estimating 60-70 GPM in my system). As energy efficient as I could find in a 1 speed and so quiet you wouldnt believe it.

Oddly enough its hard to find the .5HP model anymore. The service factor on it I think is 1.85, so technically its almost 1HP (0.5 * 1.85). Ive also heard of putting the impeller from the 3/4HP model onto the 1/2HP motor and getting even more flow, but thats not something I need.

If I had to do it over again Id be looking at a Whisperflo 2 speed but when I started my pool up again in '03 I didnt know any better :) and I didnt have 220V at the filter (I dont remember seeeing any 110V 2 speed pumps back then)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.