Orange-brown stains on the bottom of the deep end

denisbaldwin

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 23, 2010
One thing I never paid much attention to before but bothers me now that the water is clean and pristine is the circular staining that is rust colored all over the deep end in my pool. It seems to go in a wide arching circle around the deep end, about 2 foot from the main drain out to the walls. Color is dark orange and brown, sort of a pumpkin color.

Could these be copper stains? rust stains? Something else? What's a good way to clean them without throwing off my pool chemistry?

Denis

Be sure to turn the pump and/or cleaners off when testing. Otherwise the tablet will move around. When I did the deep end some of them rolled down towards the drain but a few stopped without rolling.

Some of us have gotten black staining coming off of the tablet after a while but that doesn't always happen. (It goes away; just leave the tablet alone.) Really great indication it is metal. In my case the stain was iron. I did a successful AA treatment for it.

gg=alice

My iron stains stains are usually a tannish to brownish. Copper is usually dark and more bluish black/dark grey. The iron stains hold firmer to calcium scale areas. Any rust I've had usually is darker and does have a reddish tint to it. I'll bet, though, there are variations on all.

gg=alice

geekgranny said:
My iron stains stains are usually a tannish to brownish. Copper is usually dark and more bluish black/dark grey. The iron stains hold firmer to calcium scale areas. Any rust I've had usually is darker and does have a reddish tint to it. I'll bet, though, there are variations on all.

gg=alice

I bet you're right. I've tried scrubbing on them with a coarse nylon brush and it didn't even budge. I'll try the Vitamin C tabs tonight.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.