Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: A.G. lighting - Suggestions?

1. Back To Top    #1

A.G. lighting - Suggestions?

Our A.G. pool doesnt have any lights at all, and I am trying to find a suitable solution for it. We would love to do some night swimming, but would like some light in the pool.

Any suggestions on a good light that I could add to the pool (either floating or hanging on the side).

Thanks!
    18' Round ABG (8000 gallon)
    Hayward X-Stream Cartridge Filter
    1.5hp Hayward PowerFlo Matrix Pump
    80 sq. ft. solar panels
    Goldline automated solar controller

2. Back To Top    #2

The web has lots of options, including the floating green light that you just toss in. This one looks good too - it sits on the wall of the pool -
    http://www.smarthome.com/32429.html

Our motion detector lights can be set to stay on and one of them lights up our pool.
    18 ft.52" Round Atrium AG -7600 gallons, Sand Filter, Vinyl liner, Royal Entrance Steps, 80 lbs.solarsalt

3. Back To Top    #3
    Aqualuminator - it replaces your return jet, or you can add it as a second return jet since the fitting is different (if you run a cleaner off the return), it has a fountain attachment that can be bought seperate and is really cool too!
    If you decide on this light, get the LED multi color - you won't regret it and won't ever have to change a bulb either.

4. Back To Top    #4
    I bought a GlowBuoy late last season.

It's a floating, rechargable lamp (the bulb appears to be a compact fluorscent bulb) that lights up the entire bottom of the pool. The kids (10,12 and 14) have been instructed not to ride, throw or dunk the unit and so far...it's held up nicely.

Granted...ideally it would stay in the center...but in our 24' round pool...when it wanders to the pool side...it still lights up the entire pool (albeit a little unevenly) enough to enjoy the swim.

I recall reading where the charge lasts for 4 hours. Our night swims typically start around 9 or 9:30 and last till 11:30 or midnight at the latest. We've never run it out of light. I don't ever recalling (or noticing) the unit even dimming.

It comes with a styrofoam base which acts as a charging stand. We keep it on a small table next to the backyard sliding door. When it's not being used....it's being charged. During non-swimming months...we store it in the basement.

Advantage of the GlowBuoy...no electrician or wiring...or city inspections required.

I think I paid $111 shipped from poolsupplyworld.com
    16x32 vinyl inground pool
    2 speed 1hp Hayward Super Pump

5. Back To Top    #5
    Ours sits under a large amber merc vapor light in the yard - no shortage of illumination there!
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

6. Back To Top    #6

Nitelighter.

We picked up a nitelighter. I like it. It puts out a good amount of light for a 50w bulb. However I made the mistake of putting it one end of our 15x30 agp so the far end is not as illuminated as the end where the light is located. I"m thinking of getting a second one for the opposite end of the pool.

http://www.intheswim.com/Pool-Lights-an ... ool-Light/