replacing skimmer on agp, do I have to lower water level?

May 17, 2009
Jasper, TN
If/when I replace the skimmer on my AGP, do I need to lower the water level below the skimmer? This may be a dumb question... I realize the water is going to 'run' out once the old skimmer is removed but does the level need to be much lower than that for some reason? Is there any concern about water getting behind the liner? Any other tips? The liner doesn't need to be replaced.

All this just because I can't find a friggin top for the skimmer.

When replacing the skimmer, the gaskets may be taken off and possibly even replaced as well or at least not properly secured. The liner will gap and water can get behind the liner. I don't know how much lower it will need to be for safety sake, but low enough that you can work comfortably with the skimmer, gaskets, and probably some power tools etc. without dealing with water right there in your way. Probably about 8" to a foot below would be my guess? We had to replace a gasket once and did go about a foot below so we could manipulate the power tools without getting them wet.

heikejohn said:
rastoma said:
All this just because I can't find a friggin top for the skimmer.

Question? Why do you need the top? Can you not improvise & find something in your house to cover the opening?

I lost a lot of water splashing out of the top of the skimmer.

I guess it's early in the morning but nothing comes to mind what I could possibly use other than plastic wrap :)

Did you post pics on another thread looking for the top for your skimmer? If so I saw your pics. It looks just like mine on our new pool. I cant remember the brand name but I might be able to find the papers that came with the skimmer. I looked on our lid to see if there was a part number or something but I didn't see one. I do remember the papers that came with the skimmer having part numbers on it. Have you bought a new skimmer yet? If not let me look and I will see if I still have the papers and maybe you can order the lid. Hope that will help.

Tim

JasonLion said:
You pretty much have to lower the water level below the bottom of the skimmer faceplate. Lowering several inches more below that will make things much simpler but isn't required.

The liner I was told is about 4 years old, close to 5 now. I bought the pool used last year. The guy that originally installed it (in the business, he's good), installed it for me. But would the liner have shrunk or stretched so once the screws and face plate is removed it will be hard to get the liner lined up again? (hope that makes sense).

Tim23 said:
Did you post pics on another thread looking for the top for your skimmer? If so I saw your pics. It looks just like mine on our new pool. I cant remember the brand name but I might be able to find the papers that came with the skimmer. I looked on our lid to see if there was a part number or something but I didn't see one. I do remember the papers that came with the skimmer having part numbers on it. Have you bought a new skimmer yet? If not let me look and I will see if I still have the papers and maybe you can order the lid. Hope that will help.

Tim

Yes I did, I have to go check and see if there were replies. I guess I missed them :) But this was a little different question so thus a new post.

And yes that would be awesome if you could find info yours that maybe will help me track down a replacement top. I could use a new basket too while I'm at it.

I'm sorry but I couldn't find the papers for the skimmer, but I do have the part number of the whole skimmer. The complete kit only cost $40 dollars. I know it's a lot to pay for just the lid but if all you need is to use the lid at least will have other parts like the weir etc. Here is some pics of mine to make sure its the same. and here is the part# PWS02WBXW.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Tim23 said:
I'm sorry but I couldn't find the papers for the skimmer, but I do have the part number of the whole skimmer. The complete kit only cost $40 dollars. I know it's a lot to pay for just the lid but if all you need is to use the lid at least will have other parts like the weir etc. Here is some pics of mine to make sure its the same. and here is the part# PWS02WBXW.

Every dealer that I can find that has this charges a $10.95 handling fee with free shipping. ARRRggh... I hate that. Just the thought of a handling fee turns me off so fast. I'd rather they call it a shipping fee and be done with it instead of trying to lure people in with free shipping but then charge $10.95 for someone to put it in a box.

The dealer won't sell parts individually and no one will sell just the skimmer lid LOL So I had to buy entire kit for $50 :(

Rangeball said:
If that's all I was trying to solve I'd use a piece of wood and some bungee straps :)

Yeah I was about to do that, but after looking at what all is included I figured I'd replace the whole thing anyway. Mine is missing the flap (weir?), no lid, skimmer basket is cracked i a couple of places and I haven't been able to find a good replacement.. also the brace that holds the hose on the bottom of the skimmer against the pool wall is missing. So it's not all that bad I guess for the price.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.