General Salt Setup Question

Jul 21, 2008
I ordered a SWG(intex) and now the excitement of learning something new starts...

When should I add the salt..?
now as I wait for the Generator to get here...
after I get the Generator plumbed in...

How many bags should I have on hand?
Just a quick estimate...
I have checked the pool calc to reach 2400ppm and it says ~350lbs does this seem right...?
Or does my water have some natural salt in it?

My CYA is low... always low... I am going to start raising it now... to hopefully have it here for the SWG install...
My pH runs low too... hopefully this will work out...

What else do I have to think about?

First off let me say that you are going to love your new intex swg, I just installed ours about three weeks ago and i love it. I hope you got the 2009 8110 model as it dose not have the copper plates that you do not want. You can add the salt before the swg gets there if you like. You want to make sure you run your pump for twentyfour hours to to make sure all of the salt is dissolved prior to starting the swg. The amount of salt which you will need depends on the size of your pool. You will need to get some salt test strips that they sell at any pool store to check your salt level. I can tell you that you need to aim for about 3000-3200 ppp for the intex swg so you will need a bit more salt then 350lbs. When it comes to cya level we recomend anywhere between 60-80 this depends on how much sunlight you have. This should pretty much help you out. Just don't let the swg make you lazy, believe me it's easy to do lol. The intex swg is a snap to operate just set the amount of hours you want and it will resume 24hr later as long as the power dosn't surge or go out. If it dose you will have to reset it. I hope this helps.

Daniel

When it comes to PH and SWGS....

The SWG is a source of aeration - PH drifting up is a common issue for SWG users. It's one of the reasons we recommend a TA of 60-80 for SWG users - it helps keep the PH in check. So the two are related -

Get your CYA dissolving in sock- and use the non-SWG section of the CYA/Chlorine chart for your recommended FC levels until the SWG is operational.

I added 8 40lb bags of salt to the pool yesterday evening... Tonight I took a sample and only got a 1174 ppm reading on the magic stick.

So is all the salt still on the deep end?, Should I drop the vacuum down and let it suck from the bottom for a hour or two?
I always think that the pool doesn't get enough circulation on the deep side(no main drain)...
I expected a reading much closer to 2500-2800 by adding that much salt...Maybe my pool is bigger than I though =]

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It definitely helped.. I can taste the difference =] who needs a test strip??!

I am running out of time to play tonight... but I am going to get up in the morning and drop the vacuum again for a while to see if I can circulate some more...

To improve circulation is there anything I can do? Aim the eyes better... both are pointing about around 85° (assume 0° is up)
just enough to make so ripples on the surface... Should I aim the deep end one more downward to try to catch some bottom water? And how much?

JasonLion said:
If you don't have a main drain, then yes try the vacuum trick. If it does change the salt level significantly you will need to work on improving your circulation.

Yes, aim one of your returns down towards the bottom of the deep end. I try to aim for the angle where the bottom meets the wall/slope at the nearest point of the deep end from the return jet. That works well for an oval pool, but may need to be something else, depending on the shape you have.

daniel00 said:
First off let me say that you are going to love your new intex swg, I just installed ours about three weeks ago and i love it. I hope you got the 2009 8110 model as it dose not have the copper plates that you do not want. You can add the salt before the swg gets there if you like. You want to make sure you run your pump for twentyfour hours to to make sure all of the salt is dissolved prior to starting the swg. The amount of salt which you will need depends on the size of your pool. You will need to get some salt test strips that they sell at any pool store to check your salt level. I can tell you that you need to aim for about 3000-3200 ppp for the intex swg so you will need a bit more salt then 350lbs. When it comes to cya level we recomend anywhere between 60-80 this depends on how much sunlight you have. This should pretty much help you out. Just don't let the swg make you lazy, believe me it's easy to do lol. The intex swg is a snap to operate just set the amount of hours you want and it will resume 24hr later as long as the power dosn't surge or go out. If it dose you will have to reset it. I hope this helps.

Daniel

Daniel,

Can you explain to me and my wife why no one wants the copper that comes with the Intex system, we just got ours today?

You do not want to add metals to your water - it is not chlorine that turns hair green, it is metals - copper among them. I believe it has been explained in a thread somewhere that the copper ion plates or whatever they are on that unit can be bypassed or disconnected

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.