The First Time

joel0711

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 25, 2010
East Tennessee, 40 miles west of Knoxville Tn.
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
This is my first full season with the pool. It was completed last august 1 and used for approx. 1.5 months. During completion the in line chlorinator ran fully open and cya was showing deep color on the test strips (thats all the "testing equipment" I had at the time)..
My water is not circulating at present but I did testing to get use to my new TF-100 Xl kit that came in. here are the numbers..
cya-- 70 (test ran 4 times)
cl-- less than .5 (cl/ph ran 3 times)
ph--6.8
TA--40
I have algae starting on the bottom but water is pretty clear at present.
I have plugged these numbers into the pool calculator to get the amount of chlorine I need to add to get to shock level with a cya of 70.
Should I use these numbers to start adding chlorine at the very start of the water circulating or should I circulate first then test again and use second set of numbers to base chlorine addition ? I'll be opening friday. Should I get the chlorine up to the shock level then adjust the other catagories later?
In case the stats do not show up in signature,,,,,,
16x32 vinyl,,, 21000 gallons (approx.),,, 1.5 h.p.pump,, sand filter (300 lbs.).. E.TN. location.

Glad I found TFP before my first full season starts. The standard answer I've received from most sources is "shock regularly" and use pucks. After reading the great advice here I now know that's the route to problems in the future.

You should adjust PH, at least partially. I suggest raising PH with soda ash/washing soda until the PH is at between 7.2 and 7.5. That should also raise your TA enough for now. The one thing to watch for is that the PH might currently be much lower than 6.8, since lower values read as 6.8 on most of the PH tests.

Then shock the pool as you proposed.

I'm going to suggest a different route - if your testing with strips and the result is 70 - that's not real reliable. CYA on strips almost always read lower than they really are. Back when I used trichlor and strips they read 30-50 and in reality my CYA was over 100....

I would go ahead and adjust the PH, but I would get your water retested at a pool store until you can get your own kit, one of the two we recommend:
Test Kit Comparison

and then go from there...
:) Hope this helps...

frustratedpoolmom said:
I'm going to suggest a different route - if your testing with strips and the result is 70 - that's not real reliable. CYA on strips almost always read lower than they really are. Back when I used trichlor and strips they read 30-50 and in reality my CYA was over 100....

I would go ahead and adjust the PH, but I would get your water retested at a pool store until you can get your own kit, one of the two we recommend:
Test Kit Comparison

and then go from there...
:) Hope this helps...

He is using a TFP100 kit.

Many thanks for the assist! I'll get the water circulating and re-test,then use these numbers for chlorine addition (from the pool calculator of course). I'll include Ph. adjustment also.
I am planning on testing and adjusting hourly at start up then testing /adding every 3-4 hours. Wish me luck.......

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.