Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: The First Time

1. Back To Top    #1

The First Time

This is my first full season with the pool. It was completed last august 1 and used for approx. 1.5 months. During completion the in line chlorinator ran fully open and cya was showing deep color on the test strips (thats all the "testing equipment" I had at the time)..
    My water is not circulating at present but I did testing to get use to my new TF-100 Xl kit that came in. here are the numbers..
    cya-- 70 (test ran 4 times)
    cl-- less than .5 (cl/ph ran 3 times)
    ph--6.8
    TA--40
    I have algae starting on the bottom but water is pretty clear at present.
    I have plugged these numbers into the pool calculator to get the amount of chlorine I need to add to get to shock level with a cya of 70.
    Should I use these numbers to start adding chlorine at the very start of the water circulating or should I circulate first then test again and use second set of numbers to base chlorine addition ? I'll be opening friday. Should I get the chlorine up to the shock level then adjust the other catagories later?
    In case the stats do not show up in signature,,,,,,
    16x32 vinyl,,, 21000 gallons (approx.),,, 1.5 h.p.pump,, sand filter (300 lbs.).. E.TN. location.

Glad I found TFP before my first full season starts. The standard answer I've received from most sources is "shock regularly" and use pucks. After reading the great advice here I now know that's the route to problems in the future.
    21000 Gallons I/G,,Vinyl,, 1.5 H.P. Hayward Pump,, Hayward Sand Filter S244T.. Liquidator.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: The First Time

You should get the water circulating and test again. Sounds like you've got a good plan!
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

You should adjust PH, at least partially. I suggest raising PH with soda ash/washing soda until the PH is at between 7.2 and 7.5. That should also raise your TA enough for now. The one thing to watch for is that the PH might currently be much lower than 6.8, since lower values read as 6.8 on most of the PH tests.

Then shock the pool as you proposed.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm going to suggest a different route - if your testing with strips and the result is 70 - that's not real reliable. CYA on strips almost always read lower than they really are. Back when I used trichlor and strips they read 30-50 and in reality my CYA was over 100....

I would go ahead and adjust the PH, but I would get your water retested at a pool store until you can get your own kit, one of the two we recommend:
    Test Kit Comparison

and then go from there...
    Hope this helps...
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    I'm going to suggest a different route - if your testing with strips and the result is 70 - that's not real reliable. CYA on strips almost always read lower than they really are. Back when I used trichlor and strips they read 30-50 and in reality my CYA was over 100....

I would go ahead and adjust the PH, but I would get your water retested at a pool store until you can get your own kit, one of the two we recommend:
    Test Kit Comparison

and then go from there...
    Hope this helps...

He is using a TFP100 kit.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

6. Back To Top    #6

Well my bad - I missed that only focused on the words "test strips"...

Ignore my prior post!

Thanks NWMNMom!
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

7. Back To Top    #7

Many thanks for the assist! I'll get the water circulating and re-test,then use these numbers for chlorine addition (from the pool calculator of course). I'll include Ph. adjustment also.
    I am planning on testing and adjusting hourly at start up then testing /adding every 3-4 hours. Wish me luck.......
    21000 Gallons I/G,,Vinyl,, 1.5 H.P. Hayward Pump,, Hayward Sand Filter S244T.. Liquidator.