help! should I buy a used heater? I'm a pool newbie

jlaso

May 11, 2010
My husband and I bought a house with an inground sports pool a year and a half ago. Only problem is, it's freezing cold! Our yard is shaded most of the day so the solar blanket isn't enough to warm it. We're trying to put in a heater but with the cost of the gas line and the new heater it's a little out of our budget. Should I buy a used heater from someone who's selling a Laars lite that's 6-7 years old ($350) but the guy says it's barely been used. He used it for a hot tub so it's only 125,000 BTU's but according to the charts I've been looking at it may be enough for our small pool 12 x 24 and 5ft deep.
Can anyone offer me some advice?

Welcome to TFP!!

I would be very! dubious about a used heater! The reason is that you don't know how well the chemistry was maintained and the internal piping could well be shot from chemical neglect :(

There are other types of heaters out there, like solar, that take the price of gas out of the equation - but I'll leave it to others, better suited, to explain the comparative costs. :)

depending on where you live, and how big your pool is solar may be a great way to go, medium initial cost, then only cost is when your pump runs. A little more info on your situation would help everybody help you :p

Id defiantly be wary of a used heater, if they didnt take care of the pool you might be buying yourself a $350 headache. And if youve seen anything from this site so far, very few people actually do take care of the pool correctly!

Buyer beware!! I'd be pretty wary too. There must be an area of your yard or roof you could mount solar panels. For a pool that size it sure wouldn't take much to heat it right up with solar. Once you pay the intial cost of the panels and installation (or DIY) - the heat is free! Good luck with your search and new pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.