Yet another pump problem

Oct 8, 2007
Asheville, NC
I just opened my pool this weekend and went to start the pump today and it is not working. It does make an electrical hum, so I figure it is seized or has some other issue. It was in my basement this winter and I did have a serious flood (11 inches on Christmas Day!), but did get the water out that day. My pump is the original from when the pool was installed, a 1 horsepower 1984 Doughboy Power Pack 1. It's on it's second or third motor. I have had various issues with it, from time to time, and have replaced the power cord at least 3 times.

I suppose I could get this fixed or a new motor if it is totally gone, but I wonder about a new pump. I've read about the two speed pumps and saving on electricity would be good. Aside from electrical savings are modern pumps a big advantage? Do they work more efficiently or move the water better? If I run a two speed pump on low is there a possibility of circulation issues? I've read of people with oval above grounds with one return having issues on the far end with circulation. That is not a problem with my current pump.

If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions on a possible new pump I would appreciate the advice. Thanks.

Several of the modern high efficiency pumps move more water per watt than any of the older pumps could, and running a two speed on low will save you even more electricity. Modern pumps usually have much larger strainer baskets that are easier to clean and don't need to be cleaned as frequently. The differences aren't huge, but they are there.

While it is possible to have circulation issues with a two speed on low, it is relatively rare and can almost always be fixed by adjusting the return fittings properly (or worst case replacing the return fittings).

Ok, so I got the pump running, it was just stuck. However it sounds horrendous and louder than ever. I plan on getting a new 2 speed pump. I called one place today to ask a few questions about a Waterway pump. The woman I was talking to told me that it wasn't as important to get a pump with the same horsepower as one with the same amperage. My current pump is one horsepower and 10 amps. The Waterway 1 hp pump has 8.8 amps and the 1.5hp pump has 11.00 amps. Anyone have any opinion on this? I must admit to being pretty clueless this sort of electrical stuff.

As an aside I had to go to the pool store the other day to return a defective bolt. (Strange I know, but the head just snapped off as it was being tightened.) So I decided to ask them about a new pump, even though I figured it would be pricey. This is the store where the pool was purchased 25 years ago, it is just down the road, and always has the gaskets, baskets, springs, replacement parts I need in stock. And I like to support local business. The owner, who has been there for at least 20 years, and bought it recently was confused about my request for a 2 speed pump. She said that she was aware of people using them for inground pools but this was the first time she heard about using one on an above ground pool! She couldn't find one in her book, called her supplier, and they never heard of using one on an above ground pool! She did give me a price on a new Doughboy Power Pak II, the same as my 25 year old pump. Making me wonder if there has been any improvement in pump technology in 25 years! I told her to Google above ground 2 speed pump and she would see that a bunch come up.

Anyway, if anyone has any advice on my question above I would love to hear it. Thanks!

If you want to match the performance of your old pump as closely as possible, then using Amps (as long as the voltage matches) is a better guide than using HP. HP ratings can be rather misleading. On the other hand, most people have a larger pump than they need, so going smaller often makes sense and saves electricity.

I am finding this pump shopping to be very confusing. I think that the Pentair Dynamo, two speed, 3/4 hp pump looks good both in performance, quietness and price. I called the pool store and asked a few questions, I was told that all two speed pumps need to be hardwired. Is this true? The Waterway 2 speed pump I was looking at comes with a cord. Or is it just the pool store being overly cautious?

Thanks again,

Johanna

Well I ended up getting the Waterway Hi-Flo pump, 2 speed. It might not be the most efficient, but it seems to be running well. The noise difference with my ancient pump is remarkable. When on low speed you can't hear it unless you are standing on the deck right on top of the pump position. On high speed it is a very low hum. My old pump was almost as loud as a lawn mower! Thanks to everyone who answered my questions. It was greatly appreciated.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.