Help with levels in pool

Jun 22, 2009
Opened my pool up this year a week ago, after finally getting my new sand filter up and running. 18 x 36 kidney shaped pool. Removed cover. Filled pool up to desired level. Poured 2 1lb bags of pool time 4 in 1 shock plus treatment in on the first day. 2nd day poured one more 1 lb bag in. Algaecide placed on the first and 2nd day of opening. This was one week ago. Checked the chemical balance today and this is what i get. pH 6.8, total bromine 10, free chlorine 3, total alkalinity 180. I added some pH increaser today, but not real sure about how to correct the other issues. I have not put any bromine in the pool to my knowledge.
So how can I correct the alkalinity and bromine levels??? Thanks for the help in advance!

adam

ahogue142 said:
Opened my pool up this year a week ago, after finally getting my new sand filter up and running. 18 x 36 kidney shaped pool. Removed cover. Filled pool up to desired level. Poured 2 1lb bags of pool time 4 in 1 shock plus treatment in on the first day. 2nd day poured one more 1 lb bag in. Algaecide placed on the first and 2nd day of opening. This was one week ago. Checked the chemical balance today and this is what i get. pH 6.8, total bromine 10, free chlorine 3, total alkalinity 180. I added some pH increaser today, but not real sure about how to correct the other issues. I have not put any bromine in the pool to my knowledge.
So how can I correct the alkalinity and bromine levels??? Thanks for the help in advance!

adam

Hi Adam-

Were the 4 in 1 shock bags a Dichlor-product (which contains CYA)?

How does your water look? And is the FC holding overnight?

frustratedpoolmom said:
Were the 4 in 1 shock bags a Dichlor-product (which contains CYA)?
How does your water look? And is the FC holding overnight?
FPM:
Per the MSDS (RPTM22809) it's dichloro-s-triazinetrione, 58%. It's supposed to have a clarifier and flocculant built into it, but the MSDS doesn't state anything about that; just dichlor.

"a little bit of chlorine, a lot of CYA, and a little bit of acid (PH=5.0-5.5) all in a handy pouch"
:cool:
Terry in NC
...are we having fun yet ???

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.