Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help with levels in pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Help with levels in pool

Opened my pool up this year a week ago, after finally getting my new sand filter up and running. 18 x 36 kidney shaped pool. Removed cover. Filled pool up to desired level. Poured 2 1lb bags of pool time 4 in 1 shock plus treatment in on the first day. 2nd day poured one more 1 lb bag in. Algaecide placed on the first and 2nd day of opening. This was one week ago. Checked the chemical balance today and this is what i get. pH 6.8, total bromine 10, free chlorine 3, total alkalinity 180. I added some pH increaser today, but not real sure about how to correct the other issues. I have not put any bromine in the pool to my knowledge.
    So how can I correct the alkalinity and bromine levels??? Thanks for the help in advance!

adam

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help with levels in pool

Just ignore the bromine reading. Chlorine will test as bromine, so you are really just seeing the chlorine level in different units.

TA at 180 is a a bit high, but might not cause a problem. If your PH tends to go up rapidly, then read How To Lower Total Alkalinity.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

THANKS Jason!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by ahogue142
    Opened my pool up this year a week ago, after finally getting my new sand filter up and running. 18 x 36 kidney shaped pool. Removed cover. Filled pool up to desired level. Poured 2 1lb bags of pool time 4 in 1 shock plus treatment in on the first day. 2nd day poured one more 1 lb bag in. Algaecide placed on the first and 2nd day of opening. This was one week ago. Checked the chemical balance today and this is what i get. pH 6.8, total bromine 10, free chlorine 3, total alkalinity 180. I added some pH increaser today, but not real sure about how to correct the other issues. I have not put any bromine in the pool to my knowledge.
    So how can I correct the alkalinity and bromine levels??? Thanks for the help in advance!

adam
    Hi Adam-

Were the 4 in 1 shock bags a Dichlor-product (which contains CYA)?

How does your water look? And is the FC holding overnight?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    Were the 4 in 1 shock bags a Dichlor-product (which contains CYA)?
    How does your water look? And is the FC holding overnight?
    FPM:
    Per the MSDS (RPTM22809) it's dichloro-s-triazinetrione, 58%. It's supposed to have a clarifier and flocculant built into it, but the MSDS doesn't state anything about that; just dichlor.

"a little bit of chlorine, a lot of CYA, and a little bit of acid (PH=5.0-5.5) all in a handy pouch"

Terry in NC
    ...are we having fun yet ???
    Triad Region of NC
    18x37 Vinyl IG (24,000 gal.), BBB & GoldLine AquaLogic PS4 SWG, Hayward 1 HP Superpump / Hayward Sand Filter / Polaris 280 cleaner / 6 deck jets / Sheer Descent Waterfall (in coping) / Brick Red Concrete Coping / Stamped Concrete Deck
    Lots of oak trees, maple trees, *and* leaves!