2013 Pool Closing Pictures....Let's see them

Here is mine, but I'm only partially done. Still need to drain down disconnect pump and heater. Water was 67 a few days ago, so it won't be long before I can finish up. Wanted cover on before the leaves drop.
original.jpg

I closed mine 2 or 3 weeks ago. I was sick at the time with a cold and I knew hubby was going to have brain surgery sooner than later and so we closed it. Can't wait til next year when me n hubby can get a full summer in!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
redhdgirl417 said:
From reading the comments, most have "sudo" closed as the water wasn't quite cold enough (60 degrees or below) to completely close. I drain mine 2-3" below the return outlet to remove the pump and hoses for the winter.

So as water and snow collects on the cover, how do you protect the skimmer basket from being damaged by expanding ice? Or am I being overly concerned?

IL_WS said:
redhdgirl417 said:
From reading the comments, most have "sudo" closed as the water wasn't quite cold enough (60 degrees or below) to completely close. I drain mine 2-3" below the return outlet to remove the pump and hoses for the winter.

So as water and snow collects on the cover, how do you protect the skimmer basket from being damaged by expanding ice? Or am I being overly concerned?

You can use a skimmer gizmo or I take an empty algaecide bottle and put it nozzle size down. The water is drained below your skimmer so no frozen water will be in it. Remove the basket for the winter and I put a rock on top of the skimmer cover to keep it on. The skimmer itself is pretty hardy, mine survived just fine.

My skimmer has a lid that snaps in place called, I believe, Aquadoor. Had it for years. The skimmer opening/flange has a rim like a Tupperware container and a lid like one that fits over it. Simply snaps in place. No water gets in the skimmer. My return is just as easy. I remove the "eye" and screw in a 1.5" PVC plug. Pull the cover over it and slip the plastic 55 gal drum in place under the cover and I am good to go.

Casey said:

My water was drained to right below the return and covered. Whatever water collect on top of the cover will force the pool water out of the return before it even gets to the skimmer. I've never worried about getting through the winters here in SW PA. I closed this pool the same way I closed my last one with the only difference being location (within 15 miles) and I do not anticipate a catastrophic failure due to ice, snow or rain. Sometimes our winters are mild and sometimes, they are brutal.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.