What to do until SWG kicks in?

mart242

LifeTime Supporter
May 3, 2010
Ottawa, ON, Canada
Weather was nice last week and my SWG had kicked in.. I had put in some shock to give it a head start (FC went up to 5.0) but we had a really chilly week-end and my pool temp dropped to 47F, now back up to a "warm" 50F.. :roll:

The SWG won't be back online until water hits ~60F (it's a turbo-cell 15 attached to a pro-logic P4). My chlorine is now down to 1.0.. what should I do? Wait it out? Give it another shock? Pour some bleach? Is there a preferred approach?

Pool is 19500 gallon.. TA/CA/CYA/PH will be posted shortly, the readings from the pool store don't seem too accurate and I'll try another store tonight.

mart242 said:
Weather was nice last week and my SWG had kicked in.. I had put in some shock to give it a head start (FC went up to 5.0) but we had a really chilly week-end and my pool temp dropped to 47F, now back up to a "warm" 50F.. :roll:
SWG won't be back online until water hits ~60F (it's a turbo-cell 15 attached to a pro-logic P4). My chlorine is now down to 1.0.. what should I do? Wait it out? Give it another shock? Pour some bleach? Is there a preferred approach?
Pool is 19500 gallon.. TA/CA/CYA/PH will be posted shortly, the readings from the pool store don't seem too accurate and I'll try another store tonight.
257 is very right! Just chlorinate with bleach until the water warms up.
Just use the pool calculator to determine how much, based off the size of your pool and the stabilizer (CYA) level.
You mention pool store numbers... Do you have your own test kit? Down here, pool store number are, shall we say, very inaccurate?
:cool:
Terry in NC

Pool store numbers are all over the place. I tried two pool stores and I knew that the numbers would differ but nowhere near the results I got. CYA = 100 at 1st pool store, 40 at the second one. Salt = 3100 vs 2900 (not too bad), and I forgot the others but I should post them just for giggles. I don't know who to believe.

I have ordered a new test kit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.