Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What to do until SWG kicks in?

1. Back To Top    #1

What to do until SWG kicks in?

Weather was nice last week and my SWG had kicked in.. I had put in some shock to give it a head start (FC went up to 5.0) but we had a really chilly week-end and my pool temp dropped to 47F, now back up to a "warm" 50F..

The SWG won't be back online until water hits ~60F (it's a turbo-cell 15 attached to a pro-logic P4). My chlorine is now down to 1.0.. what should I do? Wait it out? Give it another shock? Pour some bleach? Is there a preferred approach?

Pool is 19500 gallon.. TA/CA/CYA/PH will be posted shortly, the readings from the pool store don't seem too accurate and I'll try another store tonight.
    19.5k gallons in ground, P4 panel with turbocell SWG, 1hp Hayward superpump II, sand filter, Heater low nox 250k btu heater, solar cover on rocky roller

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What to do until SWG kicks in?

You can chlorinate with bleach until your water is warm enough for the SWCG to work dependably.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by mart242
    Weather was nice last week and my SWG had kicked in.. I had put in some shock to give it a head start (FC went up to 5.0) but we had a really chilly week-end and my pool temp dropped to 47F, now back up to a "warm" 50F..
    SWG won't be back online until water hits ~60F (it's a turbo-cell 15 attached to a pro-logic P4). My chlorine is now down to 1.0.. what should I do? Wait it out? Give it another shock? Pour some bleach? Is there a preferred approach?
    Pool is 19500 gallon.. TA/CA/CYA/PH will be posted shortly, the readings from the pool store don't seem too accurate and I'll try another store tonight.
    257 is very right! Just chlorinate with bleach until the water warms up.
    Just use the pool calculator to determine how much, based off the size of your pool and the stabilizer (CYA) level.
    You mention pool store numbers... Do you have your own test kit? Down here, pool store number are, shall we say, very inaccurate?

Terry in NC
    Triad Region of NC
    18x37 Vinyl IG (24,000 gal.), BBB & GoldLine AquaLogic PS4 SWG, Hayward 1 HP Superpump / Hayward Sand Filter / Polaris 280 cleaner / 6 deck jets / Sheer Descent Waterfall (in coping) / Brick Red Concrete Coping / Stamped Concrete Deck
    Lots of oak trees, maple trees, *and* leaves!

4. Back To Top    #4

Pool store numbers are all over the place. I tried two pool stores and I knew that the numbers would differ but nowhere near the results I got. CYA = 100 at 1st pool store, 40 at the second one. Salt = 3100 vs 2900 (not too bad), and I forgot the others but I should post them just for giggles. I don't know who to believe.

I have ordered a new test kit.
    19.5k gallons in ground, P4 panel with turbocell SWG, 1hp Hayward superpump II, sand filter, Heater low nox 250k btu heater, solar cover on rocky roller