Pump to drain water off winter cover

siebs

Sep 11, 2007
Windsor
Can I use the pump with the filer on waste to drain the water off the top of the winter cover? I was thinking of putting a screen around the vacuum attachment to screen any small leaves or sticks. Last year I used a submersible and it seemed liked it took forever.

While a little slow, standard inexpensive submersible pumps that plug in and you attach a hose to are like tape measures, flashlights, duct tape, and coffee.

They should come standard with every home.

The uses for these little gems are endless...not the least of which is to pump water off a pool cover, rig up a makeshift aeration fountain to raise PH without raising TA, empty a spa (because the drain plug is aimed at my foundation!!!!), pump out water from where it shouldn't be such as a basement or crawlspace (if one should use my drain plug on the spa instead of the pump), and to loan to your friends who haven't seen their benefit yet...

Of every purchase my dad ever suggested I make, that little pump is my favorite. And having it really puts me in the running for smartest mom in front of my girl friends. :whoot:

poolgirl22 said:
While a little slow, standard inexpensive submersible pumps that plug in and you attach a hose to are like tape measures, flashlights, duct tape, and coffee.

They should come standard with every home.

The uses for these little gems are endless...not the least of which is to pump water off a pool cover, rig up a makeshift aeration fountain to raise PH without raising TA, empty a spa (because the drain plug is aimed at my foundation!!!!), pump out water from where it shouldn't be such as a basement or crawlspace (if one should use my drain plug on the spa instead of the pump), and to loan to your friends who haven't seen their benefit yet...

Of every purchase my dad ever suggested I make, that little pump is my favorite. And having it really puts me in the running for smartest mom in front of my girl friends. :whoot:

That is a classic post :party: :whoot: I LOVE IT!! :cheers:

Welcome to TFP, siebs!!

(if the water is ~ clean and the pool is low, you can pump the water under the cover :wink: )

We use a little submersible pump, too. Actually, we've dragged it out several times since we closed the pool to pump large amounts of water off the cover all winter and early this spring. I have to agree with poolgirl22 -- those little pumps are invaluable.

Thanks for the help. I've used the submersible pump the last two years. I was just thinking that the vacuum system set on waste might be a little quicker.

I check the TF Forums on a regular basis and thank you again you all are a wealth of information. Swimming season is coming soon!!

We have a small submersible pump and it works great, but it can take a while to pump off all the water. Last week we decided to pump the winter's water off the cover and were surprised with about 5,000 tadpoles. They were too big to get sucked out through the pump so we had to use a bucket to scoop them out. I don't think I'd want to use the pool's regular filter to clean your cover. Seems like all the leaves, bugs, twigs, etc would clog it up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.