New 27' pool - where to start?

Nini

May 11, 2010
Split off to provide better answers

Hello,
I have a new 27' x 52" round above ground pool, it was installed last week and the pool is now full of water. The electrical components are all hooked up to the outlet and filtration system.
Now I have no idea what to do next.
Do I add chemicals and turn on the filter system?
How long shuold I run the filter?It has a sand filter with 2hp 2 speed filter and chlorinator ...
Also, what do I initially add to the water as a start up chemical solution???
Thanks, I have read the pool school info but got overwhelmed ;>o

Hello Nini, welcome to TFP.

Pool School is a little daunting at first but just keep reading it over and over and I promise it'll sink in and start making sense.

First thing is to run the filter system.

Was your fill water from a well or municipal water system?

You need a good test kit if you don't already have one. In lieu of that take, a sample of your water to the local pool store and have them test it. While not accurate, at least it gives us a place to start. Don't buy anything until you come back and post the results here.

If it doesn't have any chlorine in it you need to add 2ppm (2½ quarts of Clorox) very soon. Do you know how to use the Pool Calculator yet?

I recommend you run your pump on low 24/7 till you get the hang of things - Look on the front of the pump for a little low/off/high switch.

Do you see water ir in the pump basket? The installer connected everything - are their valves and unions, etc.

Can you post a pic of your equipment set up - we can help you that way... use photobucket.com or a similar site.

To reinforce what bama told you - don't buy anything at the pool store. Post your test results here first. :)

Thanks much for the response!!
So I should turn the filter on low 24/7 for a while and chlorinate the water, right?
When I purchased the pool, it came with a starter kit - 'hockey pucks' included, should I put the pucks in the chlorinator? If so, how much?
The oucks are chlorine tabs, right?
My water is municipal water, filled over the course of 4 days using our garden hose.
I'll do my best to post a pix of equipment.
Thank you in advance, I already feel better :>)
Nini

Yes, pucks are chlorine tabs and if you have added nothing else to the water you can put them in the chlorinator and once we see the equipment pics we can help you get it running, if you haven't already.

Was there anything else in the starter kit? Have you added anything else yet?

So far I have not put any chemicals in the pool/water.
Included in starter kit: all Blue Shield
-One gallon liquid shock treatment
-One quart liquid Black Algae Eliminator
-1.5 lbs Conditional & Stabilizer (granules)
-2 lbs pH Increaser (granules)
-Jumbo Slo-Poke Stabilizer Concentrate Chlorine Pucks
Thank you !!!!

Let me guess...you got your pool at Namco or Branch Brook? Welcome to TFP.

-One gallon liquid shock treatment good...this is liquid chlorine, just check the % strength
-One quart liquid Black Algae Eliminator not needed
-1.5 lbs Conditional & Stabilizer (granules) needed...this is CYA...you'll likely need another 4-6 lbs
-2 lbs pH Increaser (granules) ok to keep on hand if you need to increase PH and TA
-Jumbo Slo-Poke Stabilizer Concentrate Chlorine Pucks -Good to use while on vacation
Thank you !!!!
So far I have not put any chemicals in the pool/water. - add at least two cups of that liquid shock to get some chlorine in and also put the stabilizer in and old sock and hang it in front of your return eyebal and start disolving...the main things you need now are chlorine and CYA to help the chlorine from burning off to rapidly. Also if you haven;t already done so...please get a good test kit...I would recommend the TF100 from tftestkits.net

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.