Leak is driving me insane

Artist

Apr 9, 2010
The bucket test shows that I am losing about 1/4" per day to evaporation and another 1/4 more from leakage. This is with all equipment off. I cannot find a leak in the structure. I have dye tested everywhere that is imaginable.

1. What size hole would cause this samll amount of leakage and would the dye be obvious that it was getting sucked into the hole.
2. Can water seep through a suction or return pipe if all equipment is off.
3. This one has me puzzzled. I have dug out a large deep hole behind one skimmer and down to the bottom of where the suction pipe comes out of it, that I found wet ground. The water is collecting there. Up to a foot deep over night. I have searched and dye tested everywhere that I can see on the skimmer. No dye being sucked anywhere. We have chisled concrete to the point that I can see the edge of pipes in the gunite, but I have not gone any further.
4. The light fixture is approximately 15' to the right of the skimmer. I plugged it up with pool putty but have not retested it.

Help!!!!!

That's only a couple of gallons a day, so you probably aren't going to have any dye motion.

I'd put threaded PVC plug or gizmo in the skimmer and see if the water keeps accumulating there. If it stops, your leak is in the plumbing.

But, I'm not sure that the bucket test is accurate +/- 1/4", since the pool water is probably more exposed to breezes and probably stays warmer overnight than the water in the bucket.

JohnT said:
That's only a couple of gallons a day, so you probably aren't going to have any dye motion.

I'd put threaded PVC plug or gizmo in the skimmer and see if the water keeps accumulating there. If it stops, your leak is in the plumbing.

But, I'm not sure that the bucket test is accurate +/- 1/4", since the pool water is probably more exposed to breezes and probably stays warmer overnight than the water in the bucket.

My pools is 18x36 and is around 24k gallons. This is about the size of this persons pool. 18x36*1/4"/12 = 13.5 cf * 7.48 gal/cf = 101 gallons per day.

Ok. I have another question concerning the light housing. Is there another place besides the conduit where the cable comes through, that could be leaking. Is there a rubber ring just inside the housing that could need replacing?
The reason that I think it is the light is because the water level in the dug out hole outside the pool stops at the same level as the light fixture. Also there is always a little dirt stain that forms below the housing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.