LifeTime Supporter
Feb 23, 2008
Argyle, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So, I installed a new water heater for the house over the weekend and I was sweating :mrgreen: having to sweat the copper pipe fittings for the hot and cold water lines, mainly because I really stink at it. But I found these Sharkbite connectors that eliminate the need to sweat copper to copper. They work great.

http://www.sharkbiteplumbing.com/

They work with copper, PVC, and PEX. They hold tight and are easily disconnected with a $1.50 disconnector tool. Anybody else tried these things? They are great!

I don't know if they would be usable for pool stuff or not because I can't really tell if they make 1.5" or 2" ones.

Shark bites are A number one! I wouldnt plumb a whole house with them, it would cost a fortune. But, for what you did with them, you cant beat them. I have a few in my basement where i rerouted some PEX waterline and didnt have the correct PEX crimpers. Just make sure when you use them, you have the proper fittings. CPVC requires a little plastic insert where you dont need it for PEX. Copper to copper works great too, as you found out.

I used them to install a new shower/tub facuet valve body. It had 4 pipes coming in from each side and I HATE using a torch so close to studs. All I need is for a stud to catch fire when the main water valve is shut off. Since the access wall is in a closet, I just put a plastic access panel up and have been checking on the connectors every once in a while since I'm not 100% confident in them. I did not check them out that good, but I assume they use an o-ring to make the seal, so eventually that is going to leak.

I used a bunch of them to plumb a Pex line out to my backyard for easier watering of our garden. They have held up pretty well. Ive even had them pop off because of freezing (didnt blow the lines out soon enough...OOPS!!) but I snapped them back together and they just keep working.

Yes, there is an o-ring seal in there, but the way its setup the o-ring doesnt really wear and isnt really exposed to much of anything to cause it to wear down.

I used a few of them inside my house too but only where accessible (unfinished basement). I too hate soldering near a stud, but have done it when it will be behind drywall.

I used them to plumb an addition on to the house. Wow talk about making it easy! Lowes stocks a similar product called gatorbite that works on the same principle, and they cost a little less. I was worried about leaking as well, but so far (several months) and no leaks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.