Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Random Test Numbers *and* possible CL generator issue

1. Back To Top    #1

Random Test Numbers *and* possible CL generator issue

I have 2 minor frustrations about my salt water pool....

1)
    Some of the numbers from my test kit (the "big" TFP kit, 6mo old) disagree with the local pool store's numbers.

Pool store / Test Kit
    Alk: 70 / 90
    CH: 280 / 420
    CYA: 59 / 90

who do I believe? I ran the test kit 3 times, it is consistant. The CH and CYA are big differences! All tests were run within an hour of each other.

2)
    The pool will not get past 0.5ppm CL.
    CYA is 80, salt 3500, pH 7.5ish, CC is 1, Pump/cell runs 6hrs a day on MAX output setting, the cell is clean and generates plenty of bubbles. Water is clear and awesome but no CL?? Any way to test or validate the cell's operation? I read the manual (Zodiac LM Clearwater) and all tests are good, the cell thinks it OK.

I threw a 'smart stick' in a skimmer basket last night to try to get the CL up a bit.
    33k Gunite, CompuPool CPSC48 SWG, Sta-Rite System 3 DE, 2.25hp dual-speed, POOLVERGNUEGEN Pressure-side

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Random Test Numbers *and* possible CL generator issue

You need to shock the pool. A CC of 1 indicates that something organic is consuming the chlorine as it is produced, and your cell can't keep up.

Shock the pool with liquid chlorine (or clorox bleach/store brand 6%).

Read How to shock Your Pool

Believe your test kit... though the CH test is problematic. Focus on shocking now, when the FC is holding overnight
    Overnight FC Loss Test

then we can discuss what you are seeing on the CH test - that issue isn't critical right now - the organics consuming your chlorine is.

Edit: take the smart sticks out - it won't help you and raises your CYA level.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

As FPM says, the cell isn't keeping up with the algae at the moment and you need to shock. But here's a trick for verifying the cell is generating chlorine: get your water sample from as close to the return jet as you can, while the cell is running. (Take the smart stick out first, that will just confuse the issue.)
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP

I was too slow

Do what Paul and FPM are telling you.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Sorry guys I lied. I looked at the wrong column

Pool store: Free Cl = 0, Total Cl = 0.4
    Test Kit: Cl = 0.5

Same prognosis for shocking the pool? The pool does get a lot of organics in it - wind blowing small stuff from trees and bushes in there.

Will take out the smart stick, thanks.
    33k Gunite, CompuPool CPSC48 SWG, Sta-Rite System 3 DE, 2.25hp dual-speed, POOLVERGNUEGEN Pressure-side

6. Back To Top    #6

I suggest you turn off the SWG, use liquid chlorine to bump the FC up to 5 or 6. Tonight, test the FC and then do an overnight test. IF you lose EDIT: MORE than 1ppm, you need to shock. I suspect you need to shock - something is consuming the chlorine.
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

7. Back To Top    #7

Excellent, thanks, will do!

8. Back To Top    #8

Update -
    I hit "superchlorinate" on the SWG and let it go 24hrs. Free Cl went up to 3. It stayed reasonably constant the following night, dropped maybe 0.5 without the equipment running.

Note we do get a fair amount of organics in the pool, lots of trees & bushes in the area and decent winds, so there is a pretty good load on the pool.

Chemistry has since stabilized to:

FC: 2ppm
    CC: 0.5ppm (the solution goes very slightly pink for the CC test, then completetly clear with 1 drop)
    Alk: 80
    pH: maintained 7.5-7.8 (looking @ acid dosing system, getting tired of adjusting manually...)
    CYA: 80

Looking good??

9. Back To Top    #9

With CYA at 80 and a SWG, you should be aiming for an FC level of {EDIT} 4 {/EDIT} or higher. Otherwise your results look pretty good. CC of 0.5 is fine.

You can reduce the amount of PH drift you see by lowering TA down to around 60 to 70 and also by adding borates.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

FC of 4.0 or higher I take it you mean?
    Borates are about 55ppm. drift has slowed but still about 1/week i have to add acid to drag it down from 7.8ish.
    Thanks!

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by acroy
    Update -
    I hit "superchlorinate" on the SWG and let it go 24hrs. Free Cl went up to 3. It stayed reasonably constant the following night, dropped maybe 0.5 without the equipment running.
    If you had a drop from 3 to .5 I think you have organics in the water and you should shock. I think this is more than just a tree and bush issue

We advise bumping FC levels with liquid chlorine rather than using the "superchlorinate" feature which can shorten the life of the cell.

12. Back To Top    #12

According to the Chlorine/CYA Chart you want to be at around FC 30 to shock properly. It'll take forever for the SWG to get you there, so use the liquid chlorine aka bleach as FPM said.
    --paulr
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    Update -
    If you had a drop from 3 to .5 I think you have organics in the water and you should shock. I think this is more than just a tree and bush issue

We advise bumping FC levels with liquid chlorine rather than using the "superchlorinate" feature which can shorten the life of the cell.
    Drop was from 3 to 2.5 - OK, yes?
    Thanks for the tip on the liquid cl vs. salt cell shock. Bleash is cheap - salt cell is a little spendy!

14. Back To Top    #14

Ah, it dropped by .5, not to .5; that's fine.
    --paulr

15. Back To Top    #15

Sorry I misread! too distracted I guess...

16. Back To Top    #16

FC of 4.0 or higher I take it you mean?
    Right! Sorry.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School