Diagnose my plaster

ghuber

May 11, 2010
Hey Gang,

Over the winter, I bought a house with a gunite pool w/ spa. It was built in 2003. I opened it up last week and went through the normal process of cleaning up the water. Now that the water is clear, I've noticed the plaster is worn, but not knowing much about pools I don't know how bad. What do you guys think? Take a look at the pics I've attached. What is this caused by? Will I need to get the plaster replaced soon?

frustratedpoolmom said:
Yeah, that doesn't look good from my limited experience.
Our plaster experts are around but less frequent as right now is their busy season so helpfully you'll get a response soon...:)

Thanks. After a long day of research, I've concluded that I think my pool is showing obvious signs of spot etching. It seems that there is a lot of debate as to what causes this, but from what I've read many think its caused by an acidic water chemistry. I'm wondering if the plaster experts on here agree with that.

If so, I guess at this point I need to decide what I want to do about it. I see that Jack's Magic makes a product for spot etching -- not sure if it works. I guess the other cheap option I could try is an acid wash, though Ilike the Jack Magic I doubt that's going to do much.

Ultimately, if I want to rid the pool of this I'm thinking a re-plastering might be necessary. What do you guys think?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.