Skimmer socks

stev32k

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 29, 2009
Mobile, Alabama
I've read in several threads where skimmer socks are mentioned and thought I would try one. Since I've never heard of a skimmer sock before I didn't really know what they are or where to buy one so I decided to improvise. I bought a pair of ladies queen size knee high stockings from the local drug store, removed the center handle of my skimmer basket and stretched one of the socks over the lip so that it sets inside the basket. It's been in place for about a week now and I'm amazed at how much stuff it collects.

It does not seem to impede the water flow to the pump - at least I can't see any difference and I know it is removing a lot of debris that would otherwise end in the filter. It is catching things like ants, gnats, other small bugs, and glass clippings from mowing the lawn. Considering that the filter is very efficient at removing detritus I'm wondering if there are other advantages to using the sock I'm not aware of or is that enough of a justification?

Sounds justification enough for me :)

Skimmer socks are particularly useful at catching pollen and other airborne micro-nasties. If you're catching small bugs and grass clippings, all the better. To me, it's easier to replace a skimmer sock than break down and wash out my filber cartridge, so that's reason enough for me to use them. Infact, I use them both in my skimmer and in my pump basket.

We NEED to use skimmer socks. The skimmer flows to the in floor cleaner system and not the filter. So, if there was no sock, small debris would bypass the skimmer basket, pump basket, and back to the pool via the in floor nozzles.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.