Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Skimmer socks

1. Back To Top    #1

Skimmer socks

I've read in several threads where skimmer socks are mentioned and thought I would try one. Since I've never heard of a skimmer sock before I didn't really know what they are or where to buy one so I decided to improvise. I bought a pair of ladies queen size knee high stockings from the local drug store, removed the center handle of my skimmer basket and stretched one of the socks over the lip so that it sets inside the basket. It's been in place for about a week now and I'm amazed at how much stuff it collects.

It does not seem to impede the water flow to the pump - at least I can't see any difference and I know it is removing a lot of debris that would otherwise end in the filter. It is catching things like ants, gnats, other small bugs, and glass clippings from mowing the lawn. Considering that the filter is very efficient at removing detritus I'm wondering if there are other advantages to using the sock I'm not aware of or is that enough of a justification?
    20' x 40' IG with vinyl liner volume approx. 35,000 gal.1.5 H.P. main pump, Polaris 280 cleaner W/ 3/4 H.P. booster pump
    Hayward sand filter, 3.14 sq ft, 62 gpm. Stenner 45 MPH10 chlorine feed pump. 1 micron final filter bags (home made and very effective)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Skimmer socks

Sounds justification enough for me

Skimmer socks are particularly useful at catching pollen and other airborne micro-nasties. If you're catching small bugs and grass clippings, all the better. To me, it's easier to replace a skimmer sock than break down and wash out my filber cartridge, so that's reason enough for me to use them. Infact, I use them both in my skimmer and in my pump basket.
    Clearwater, Florida

12,000 gallon kidney shaped gunite pool
    Pentair Whisperflo 3/4HP Pump
    Pentair CCP420 420sq/ft Cartridge Filter
    Pentair Intellibrite 5G 120V Pool Light

3. Back To Top    #3

I use the knee highs too.. they are cheaper and do a great job.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

4. Back To Top    #4

We NEED to use skimmer socks. The skimmer flows to the in floor cleaner system and not the filter. So, if there was no sock, small debris would bypass the skimmer basket, pump basket, and back to the pool via the in floor nozzles.
    16K gallon, Pebble tec, beach entry. Two 1 hp Pentair Whisperflos. One for Paramount MDX2 main drain, Paramount debris canister, and Pentair CCP 520 filter. One for skimmer w/sock and Paramount PCC2000 in floor cleaner. 3/4 hp Pentair Pinnacle for waterfall. Fiberstars fiber optic pool lighting. Aqua-Logic AQL-P-4 control panel with wired remote in the house. SWCG system that is not used. Ultra-Pure Ozonator that is not used.