Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: differences with intellipro VS3050 and VF

1. Back To Top    #1

differences with intellipro VS3050 and VF

What are the actual differences?
    From the research ive been able to do

1: VF has its own built in timer that turns on a certain speed at certain times
    and the VS uses a regular external pump timer for on/off operation

2:VF automatically senses which speed of 8 preprogramed speeds is needed when it runs
    VS you manually select 1 of 4 user programmed speeds when you want to speed it up or slow it down.

Any other differences in the two?
    I have a pretty basic pool/spa with a waterfall/slide combo from what I can tell the VF wont really have any benefits over using a VS hooked up to an intellitouch. Does this sound about right?

Poolsonly is the best price ive found at about $890 shipped then hopefully i can get the nvenergy $200 break on the black starite branded VS3050, does anyone else have a better price?
    http://www.poolsonly.com/sta-rite-intel ... d_756.html

Thanks for any ideas

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: differences with intellipro VS3050 and VF

The main difference is that the VF is able to measure flow rates so you can program a flow rate instead of an RPM. With the VS, you can only program an RPM, not a flow rate. Also, with the VF, the pump will adjust the RPM to match the desired flow rate, even if conditions change such as the filter getting more clogged whereas the VS will have a lower flow rate in this situation.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

The motor and pump are identical, only the electronics are different. The timer in the VF is very fancy, but isn't used if you have an automation system. The VF also makes it much easier to figure out the ideal settings. You can save just as much money with the VS, but you need to do a little more thinking and calculating to figure out the ideal speeds.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    The motor and pump are identical, only the electronics are different. The timer in the VF is very fancy, but isn't used if you have an automation system. The VF also makes it much easier to figure out the ideal settings. You can save just as much money with the VS, but you need to do a little more thinking and calculating to figure out the ideal speeds.
    Good deal, so as long as im willing to put some thinking time into setting up the speeds on the VS and use an intellitouch there isnt really a need to spend the extra pesos on the VF.

$890 shipped sound about like the best price on the VS?

It sure looks an awfull lot like my existing starite Duraglass II, is it possable theyre the same? If so does anyone sell the VS minus the pump end?

5. Back To Top    #5

$876 at Amazon.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Just an update for future ref.

The Starite vs3050 wet end is the same as the duraglass II. The basket cover is different and the stand is slightly different but the new VS i bought had an identical impeller cover and seal and slipped right into the existing wet end so no plumbing, just slid it in and tightened up the band.

Also its got a pig tail coming off the motor instead of lugs to attach my 220 wiring so that was a little extra work but otherwise easy as pie, could have saved a few bux if i didnt have to buy the pump with the motor but I guess i cant argue, ive been looking forward to the upgrade, $702 with tax once i get my rebate from the power company.

forgot to add it was a good thing I split the motor from the pump, had I installed it as is out of the box something bad would have happened, there was a 3/8 x 3/8 x 4 inch long peice of rubber sitting in the impeller housing, i assume thats not supposed to be there

7. Back To Top    #7

FYI.. Amazon has it on a special at $829.78 shipped! :P
    16,000 G in ground Gunnite (plastered) with attached Spa, Gemini 3 NG Heater, Sta-rite cartridge filter, Aquabot Mark V, TF test kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by jag702
    Just an update for future ref.

The Starite vs3050 wet end is the same as the duraglass II. The basket cover is different and the stand is slightly different but the new VS i bought had an identical impeller cover and seal and slipped right into the existing wet end so no plumbing, just slid it in and tightened up the band.

Also its got a pig tail coming off the motor instead of lugs to attach my 220 wiring so that was a little extra work but otherwise easy as pie, could have saved a few bux if i didnt have to buy the pump with the motor but I guess i cant argue, ive been looking forward to the upgrade, $702 with tax once i get my rebate from the power company.

forgot to add it was a good thing I split the motor from the pump, had I installed it as is out of the box something bad would have happened, there was a 3/8 x 3/8 x 4 inch long peice of rubber sitting in the impeller housing, i assume thats not supposed to be there
    I wonder if it would fit into my Dura Glas 1. It would sure be nice not to cut pipes.
    5,775 gal, IG free form, Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish, 2 swim out benches, Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues, StaRite Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump, Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter replaced with Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15, Polaris 360, Pentair 300w Light upgraded to Pentair IntelliBrite (OMG what a huge difference) , Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers, solar cover, TF-100 test kit, Pentair Deck Jet, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer (Makes testing a breeze), Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Margarita Concoction Machine,
    Pics of our Spool ( Social Pool) being built Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade

9. Back To Top    #9

The diagram for the 1 looks completely different, size wise it may it still may work but going off the look its completely different.

Whats the best way to rough calibrate my speeds for now until the power company gets out and does it right? Also Im keeping the pool at 85, do i have to leave the pump running at my minimum required heater input speed/flow 24 hours a day untill i get the intellitouch to control the on off?

10. Back To Top    #10

what is the least expensive controller that would take advantage of the VS instead of going for the VF assuming one currently had no automation.

thanks
    20x47' double roman vinyl liner pool. Pentair EasyTouch 8PSC-IC40, 011018 Pentair IntelliFlo, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus Filter CCP420, Pentair 120V IntelliBrite LED, Cleardeck indeck solar reel, 530 sq' solar system Polaris 9300xi robot, Interfab Turbotwister slide, S.R. Smith T7 diving board, deck jets vinyl-liner-pool-build-in-ontario-canada-new-pictures-t30213.html

11. Back To Top    #11

I believe that the Pentair SunTouch is the least expensive controller that can control an IntelliFlo/IntelliPro directly.