Aquarite salt reading is 0?

jonmar

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 29, 2009
Opened the pool last Friday, and did not turn on the SWG. It was showing 2900 ppm which I assume is from last year. Reset it and it showed 1200 ppm. Anyhow, water temperature is 52 F, so I vacuumed the pool for a couple days and then added 1.5 bags of salt, reset the aqualine again, and the instant test stopped around 2700ppm and then just went to 0 after about three seconds. It now constantly reads 0. Once this happened I simply put the switch back to the off position. I have flicked to auto a couple times, but no change.

jonmar said:
SWG was showing 2900 ppm/from last year. Reset it and it showed 1200 ppm... water temperature is 52 F...added 1.5 bags of salt, reset the aqualine again, and the instant test stopped around 2700ppm and then just went to 0 after about three seconds. It now constantly reads 0. Once this happened I simply put the switch back to the off position. I have flicked to auto a couple times, but no change.
16 X 32 Vinyl Inground, Aquarite SWG, Hayward 1 HP Super Pump, Hayward H250 LoNox Heater. Hayward Sand Filter, not sure on the specs.
With 52 degree water, the SWG will not function correctly so you do need to use bleach until the temperature rises.
How much water did you add when you opened the pool this year?
I'd lowered the water level too much over the winter, added about 1/3 water (8,000 gal), and had to add 400 Lb of salt too. :hammer:

Do you know how to reset the stored value when your water is warmer?

I think I do. I think I did it the other day. Pushed the button till the - screen came up, flicked the switch from OFF, to Super, and then back to Auto. After a minute or two, I switched it back to off. In terms of water added, it took about 6 hours to fill upon opening, and it took 28 hours to fill when it was built. So, I would say 25% or less.

In terms of chlorine, I threw in a couple of bags of the shock stuff. Given the temperature of the water, how often should I be adding bleach? I'm hoping to be up to speed in a week or so with the SWG producing chlorine.

jonmar said:
I think I do. I think I did it the other day. Pushed the button till the - screen came up, flicked the switch from OFF, to Super, and then back to Auto. After a minute or two, I switched it back to off. In terms of water added, it took about 6 hours to fill upon opening, and it took 28 hours to fill when it was built. So, I would say 25% or less.

In terms of chlorine, I threw in a couple of bags of the shock stuff. Given the temperature of the water, how often should I be adding bleach? I'm hoping to be up to speed in a week or so with the SWG producing chlorine.

By, "threw in", I HOPE you meant that you properly premixed the "couple bags" of shock stuff so that the undissolved residue doesn't sit on the liner and bleach/ weaken it! :hammer:

Quick point: you don't go back to off to 'slave in ' the instant reading - simply switch from 'auto' to 'super' and back :wink: (going to off first might have slaved it to 0 :oops: )

jonmar said:
What "shock stuff" did you put into your pool? Remember that "shock" really isn't a product, no matter what the label may say: It's a physical action of raising the chlorine level to kill algae and pathogens in the water.

What are your water readings? The basic water chemistry will determine how much bleach you need to add and how often.

Have you gone through the articles in pool school to understand what is needed?

waste said:
jonmar said:

By, "threw in", I HOPE you meant that you properly premixed the "couple bags" of shock stuff so that the undissolved residue doesn't sit on the liner and bleach/ weaken it! :hammer:

Quick point: you don't go back to off to 'slave in ' the instant reading - simply switch from 'auto' to 'super' and back :wink: (going to off first might have slaved it to 0 :oops: )

Actually, it was in the off position. I switched it to Auto. Then pressed the button to get to the - display. Then went to Super and then back to Auto. After is came up with about 2800 ppm, I then switched it to off and it then read 0.

In terms of the bags of shock, they were the powdery things they sell at the pool store. They tested my water, told me to use two, so I did. Cut the top of the bag and sprinkled them in around the pool. I was hoping the weather would cooperate so I could heat the sucker and just turn on the SWG and then add the balancing chemicals at that point. The temperature is supposed to be good starting Saturday.

Here is an update;
Had my water tested today and the salt level was 2300 ppm. I added two bags of salt. FC was 1.0, CYA was 20, so I know that will need to be increased. Anyhow, the pump has been going for about 15 hours since the addition of salt. The water is now 72F and I kinda wanted to start generating. When I switch from off to Auto, the instant salt reading is 3300ppm, then after about 20 seconds goes to 0. The default prior to turning the unit on says 1700 ppm. After leaving on for about a minute, the check salt, and check cell light both come on and stay on. They aren't flashing.

I think things are okay. This morning, I turned the unit on and checked the instant salt reading three times. It came up at 3300ppm. The water is 82. I then set this as the baseline by switching to Super and then back to auto to lock it in. It has been working fine all day. I think in my screwing around I must have set the baseline to 0.
Now if I could only figure out why my navigator is floating. :rant:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.