Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hi,

Two years ago I had mustard algae problem after coming back from vacation and chlorine had ran down to nothing and pool was steaming hot and a bad phosphate problem. I tried the “yellow out” (yeah I know, not using it again) to no help and then stumble on help here where by I bleached the heck out of it and finally cleared up the problem.
Last year, I converted my pool to salt in the spring and everything has been operating normal chlorine is producing and holding good. However, I started developing a light brown/tan staining around the bowl and sides of the deep end that won't brush off. They are also visible around the swim out of the deep end and there are a few spots around shallow end.

I am wonder if I should be using some different type of stain and scale treatment with the salt water. I see that there are several products available just for salt water pools in regards to maintenance optimizing, and staining.
Is there common or preferred one being used by the majority? Any ideas on my staining problem?

I tried the Jack's Magic stain test kit and it appears that the Stain Solution #2 (Iron, Cobalt & Spot etching) lighted the stains on the swim out. This stuff is way expensive plus you have to go through the effort of lower chlorine. I don’t want to waste my money once again. My water has been checked for mineral and none found or only very light trace of copper (last year) and nothing else.
I also tried the ascorbic acid by using some ground up vitamin C but did do much, if anything at all.
Also tried the stain out by the same folks that make the yellow out, it lighten it up a little when I did the spot bag, but when I used the entire 2 bottles it did nothing.
Not sure if these picture will show well enough but anyone can help identify and provide any recommends that would be great. I truly annoyed with these stains and tired of wasting my money!
Would an acid wash bet the better bet?
An added note, I was told early on after the pool was built about 5 years ago that I a modeling problem with the plaster, that use to be a light gray streaks and smears, I wonder if it has not just change shades to the tan…is this possible.[attachment=0:1j4uw5ey]5202010 243.JPG[/attachment:1j4uw5ey][attachment=1:1j4uw5ey]5202010 237.JPG[/attachment:1j4uw5ey][attachment=2:1j4uw5ey]5202010 244.JPG[/attachment:1j4uw5ey]

Attachments

• 5202010 243.JPG
    5202010 243.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 320
So the stains in the swim out looked like this before the Jack's was applied?

I'm not sure what etching looks like, wondering if this is what it looks like.

So Vitamin C did nothing? Did you try a trichlor tablet on the stains?

If you post a full set of test results, we can advise you better.

Stain on swim out was pretty much the same, kind of looks like dirt or dust streaks however doesn't brush off...strange. No real mineral look to it. Have not tried trichlor tablets, though it would be hard treat the entire side bowl.

Trichlor tablet- if the stain fades it just confirms the stain is organic - one wouldn't necessarily treat the pool that way. I doubt it is organic, but it was just one more thing to rule out fairly easily.

Test results? :)

If the Trichlor tablet test does work on the stain, how do you treat the whole pool? I have the same looking stains that this poster has. Do you just over shock the pool (double, triple) the amount of shock? Please advise.

Hi dlouie01 :wave:

It is best if you could first post a full set of test numbers (and tell us how you got them) so that members can give better advice. Shock level for each pool is based on the CYA level.

Welcome to the forum :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.