Air Leak / Suction Side of Skimmer

Apr 30, 2010
Portage, MI
Looking for suggestions as to how to locate a leak. I've so far been able to determine that its on the suction side of my skimmer line. When the skimmer is off the pump will maintain prime and work great. As soon as I start to turn on the skimmer I start losing prime and over a very short period of time the pump basket emptys.

I've checked and increased the water level and it didn't have any effect and it appears that the weir door is operating properly.

Where should I go from here. Is there some way to easily check the piping short of pressurizing the line?

Welcome to TFP!!

Pressure testing the lines will verify the leak.

I'd start by dribbling water over any visible connections on the skimmer line, up to the valve - pour water on them with the line open and the pump running and see if the bubbles lessen. Also, sometimes you can see a squirt when the pump shuts off - throw open the skimmer line while simultaneously turning off the power to the pump.

Good luck with this, if you can identify where the leak is, we'll help you make the repair. :cool:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.