question about salt in water and CYA

skydiva44

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 18, 2009
Houston, Texas
Last year I used the SWG, this year for whatever reason it is not hooked up yet, but obviously there must still be some salt in the water. I had very bad algae when I opened the pool and it took a month to get it clean. I have maintained my levels accurately, the only thing that I know it still too high at 170 is my TA.....I never let my FC go below 4 and yesterday woke up to green around the shaded areas in the pool and it is definitely algae. So my question is, since there is salt in my water, but I am not using the SWG, should I go by the recommend levels of CYA for a vinyl pool with bleach #30-50 which is what I am using or CYA of 70 -80 for a SWG? This may be the problem of getting algae back so soon. I am starting to shock again and need to know which CYA level to shoot for? Thanks a bunch!

I'm sorry meant to post that earlier

CYA is 50 and has been for a week, so that is why I never let it go below 4 for min FC, so I am puzzled why? Then I thought it might be because I should be using the recommended levels for SWG since there is salt in the water, which needs a higher CYA of 70 -80...so you think I should continue on the path of CYA of 50 as my levels of target?

Hi...the higher recommendation for CYA in SWG pools is to make easier for the SWG to keep up with chlorine demand (I think). If your CYA is truly 50, your minimum FC is 4 and you should target 6-7ppm. Unfortunately now that algae is present, you should perform an overnight FC loss test to determine if you need to shock.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.