Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: question about salt in water and CYA

1. Back To Top    #1

question about salt in water and CYA

Last year I used the SWG, this year for whatever reason it is not hooked up yet, but obviously there must still be some salt in the water. I had very bad algae when I opened the pool and it took a month to get it clean. I have maintained my levels accurately, the only thing that I know it still too high at 170 is my TA.....I never let my FC go below 4 and yesterday woke up to green around the shaded areas in the pool and it is definitely algae. So my question is, since there is salt in my water, but I am not using the SWG, should I go by the recommend levels of CYA for a vinyl pool with bleach #30-50 which is what I am using or CYA of 70 -80 for a SWG? This may be the problem of getting algae back so soon. I am starting to shock again and need to know which CYA level to shoot for? Thanks a bunch!
    ABG Easy Set 18 x 48
    5455 gallons
    SWG
    Intex Pump 4000 GPM - Size B cartridge

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: question about salt in water and CYA

what is your current CYA level? Then adjust your min FC to the corresponding CYA level for non-swg pools
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm sorry meant to post that earlier

CYA is 50 and has been for a week, so that is why I never let it go below 4 for min FC, so I am puzzled why? Then I thought it might be because I should be using the recommended levels for SWG since there is salt in the water, which needs a higher CYA of 70 -80...so you think I should continue on the path of CYA of 50 as my levels of target?
    ABG Easy Set 18 x 48
    5455 gallons
    SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi...the higher recommendation for CYA in SWG pools is to make easier for the SWG to keep up with chlorine demand (I think). If your CYA is truly 50, your minimum FC is 4 and you should target 6-7ppm. Unfortunately now that algae is present, you should perform an overnight FC loss test to determine if you need to shock.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

5. Back To Top    #5

That's the plan.....thanks for your input! Here we go again.....
    ABG Easy Set 18 x 48
    5455 gallons
    SWG

6. Back To Top    #6

That's not good news... sorry to hear about that. Don't forget to brush in between the pool wall and the ring... it's easy for stuff to lurk there waiting to re-emerge...
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com