qucik question on pool walls

Jun 11, 2009
All-
We've just got our 1 year old 27' round ABG pool running. Everything seems fine except for the fact that there appears to be a gap between many of the uprights and the pool wall. I'd say about a pinky finger tip width or so. It's full and nice and sturdy. Is this anything to be concerned about? I'm kinda out in the cold, as the folks that installed are out of business. When i drained it down for winter, i went about 3" below the skimmer frame. It didn't freeze 100% over the winter but got close. Let me know what you all think, thanks!

--chris

I'll have to up load one to a hostng site. The wall is in track at the bottom and the upper brackets seem engaged right in the upper track. The behavior seems to be different from pillar to pillar. Even one side vs the other. It's kinda weird.

--Chris

Is there any chance the bottom plates for a few of the uprights may have a shift or heave somewhere under the outer edge of one or more of them that would make the top of the upright lean one way or another? Have you checked all along the bottom rail to be sure there isn't any small gap or heave in one spot or another? That can throw everything off - sometimes it would show up as a tiny gap under the rail or show up as a mild crinkle, bow or bend in the pool wall along the bottom foot or so of the wall - It doesn't have to be much. It's usually corrected by scraping out the dirt just ever so slightly under the heave or making a minor correction to the base under that rail. Pictures of the gaps and the bottom rail area would really help a lot.

Pool-creetin said:
Are these composite posts ?(Dunno if there are pools with composite uprights) I agree there should be plenty of pressure holding the wall tight to the upright posts.

I also have resin/composite uprights...I'm thinking unless the uprights themselves are bent, there should be minimal gap, if any.

thanks for all the replies, i apologize for my slow response. The gaps are not large(i have to squish my pinky to get it to fit in the largest ones), and vary from side to side of a pillar and from pillar to pillar. The gap also narrows as you go from the top of the pool to the bottom. The thing is the pool is dead solid, and firmly in the track all the way around the top and the places of the bottom that i can see(they had to dig one side of the pool in about 8" to keep it level). I've already been in it and pushed from inside the pool and the walls do not even think about giving, let alone closing the gap. From the way the top plates interlock, it almost appears as if the uprights can't contact the walls--the plate appears to have the rail bound to it such that the wall sits away from the upright. I don't recall if it was this way last year or not(pool isn't one year old yet)

Now the real problem. The company i bought it from has bellied up, a victim of the bad economy i'm afraid. They had been around for a while, but i guess they just couldn't shoulder the down turn. I'll try to get those pics up soon

--chris

Put a level on your uprights, both side to side and in and out, I bet some of these are out of alignment. Secondly, All your uprights are not perfectly in the same plane. I just had a 27' pool installed and the wall was wrinkled like you are experiencing and the installers by simply lowering or raising the upright slightly the gaps would disappear. So, outside of draining the pool and re leveling it, I am not sure what you can do. I am also unsure of how negative having a few gaps is as well and I may just leave it alone.

Chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.