Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Now pump won't work.

1. Back To Top    #1

Now pump won't work.

Ugh. I'm seriously NOT liking having a pool right now. I have more problems just getting going...

Now, that I've finally gotten the water level up and the drain plug replaced on the pump, the pump won't work!

I tried to plug it in for the first time for the season (opened by PS, but they couldn't start everything because the water level was down) and NOTHING is happening. I know there is power to the outlet because I tried another thing plugged in there.

There is no sound, no humming, no nothing. There is water in the basket and the basket is clean.

Any ideas? My next idea is to check the impeller. But I'd still hear something even if that was jammed wouldn't I?
    27' round AG, sand, Ohio, well water, 19,000 gallons approx., New owners to the pool.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Now pump won't work.

Yes, you would normally hear a humming noise if it was jammed.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Have you confirmed electric to the plug? voltage good? Any chance water got into the motor and seized it?
    Clearwater, Florida

12,000 gallon kidney shaped gunite pool
    Pentair Whisperflo 3/4HP Pump
    Pentair CCP420 420sq/ft Cartridge Filter
    Pentair Intellibrite 5G 120V Pool Light

4. Back To Top    #4

Power is good. No idea if water got in it or not. I ended up taking it to an electrician that works on pool pumps. First thing he said was "that doesn't look very old". I told him there. May be nothing wrong with it. We just don't understand enough about pools and pumps. So I guess we'll see after the get it apart.
    27' round AG, sand, Ohio, well water, 19,000 gallons approx., New owners to the pool.

5. Back To Top    #5

Hi Kathy...just curious, how did you confirm the power is good? I am assuming you tested another appliance in the same recepticle?
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes I did. Was that not the right thing to do?

7. Back To Top    #7

no...that fine...just wanted to make sure...sometimes folks think if their breaker didn't trip, then there must be power at the outlet...but you confirmed that is not the case.

Any chance your pool pump plug has a GFCI breaker gizmo attached to it?..Alternately, while to pump is unplugged, you'll have to start checking the wiring connections to the pump...perhaps you inadvertently pulled on it and a connection came loose at the pump housing...I'm not an electrician...but that's where I would start....hope you find the problem soon
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

8. Back To Top    #8

Oh ok, thanks! I actually checked both. The breaker box first (which didn't even have it's own breaker for the pool, so I wonder which one it is). Then I plugged something else into the outlet.

There's no GFCI on the actual plug. As far as wiring, I guess I'll leave that up to the electricians. Yikes!

Thanks for your help.

9. Back To Top    #9

I don't know much about it but we recently got a new pump and it didn't work right away either. They are set up apparently as a 220v and if you have 110v you have to wire it differently. We switched ours and then it work fine. Not sure if that is the problem you are having but thought I would share my experience in case it helps.
    Plano, TX
    25,000 Gallons, Plaster, DE Filter, No SWG