Help!!! Sta Rite Max E Pro Pump Strainer Basket for P6E6H

May 10, 2010
I own an in-ground 11,000 gallon pool and the subject pump system is what is being used. The problem I have is that the strainer basket holes are not fine enough to stop the debris I get into my pool. I have Mesquite trees near my pool and when the wind blows hard and it does frequently the small pine needle like debris from these trees gets into the pool. The shark picks them up and they go into the strainer basket and becasue they are stiff and so small they go through the basket and end up in the impeller. I have had to have the impeller broken down twice since Early April to get the crud out of there. I have searched the internet for a sleeve or an insert I could put in to reduce the filter size to stop these mesquite needles from getting into the impeller.

The strainer on these machines has the water coming into the basket on one side high so a regular bag would have to be adapted to fit.

Anyone with a suggestion would be appreciated....

[attachment=0:9qle4kjq]5055-19.jpg[/attachment:9qle4kjq]

Attachments

• 5055-19.jpg
    5055-19.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 62
rtbagna said:
I own an in-ground 11,000 gallon pool and the subject pump system is what is being used. The problem I have is that the strainer basket holes are not fine enough to stop the debris I get into my pool. I have Mesquite trees near my pool and when the wind blows hard and it does frequently the small pine needle like debris from these trees gets into the pool. The shark picks them up and they go into the strainer basket and becasue they are stiff and so small they go through the basket and end up in the impeller. I have had to have the impeller broken down twice since Early April to get the crud out of there. I have searched the internet for a sleeve or an insert I could put in to reduce the filter size to stop these mesquite needles from getting into the impeller.

The strainer on these machines has the water coming into the basket on one side high so a regular bag would have to be adapted to fit.

Anyone with a suggestion would be appreciated....

[attachment=0:3nscq4qy]5055-19.jpg[/attachment:3nscq4qy]

Put a skimmer sock in the skimmer basket before the pump basket. This will keep you from getting needles in your pump basket entirely...you can buy skimmer socks...a lot of us just use nylon knee highs which do the same thing...and in some cases are even finer than skimmer socks.

Hey Beave...Thanks for the response...That will help a little but 90 percent of the needles are coming into the pump through the shark that is sweeping the bottom of the pool...That is why I am trying to find a way to use something in the Pump basket....
Thanks

Rick

rtbagna said:
Hey Beave...Thanks for the response...That will help a little but 90 percent of the needles are coming into the pump through the shark that is sweeping the bottom of the pool...That is why I am trying to find a way to use something in the Pump basket....
Thanks

Rick

I get you now and if the Shark is anything like my cleaner it doesn't work if the skimmer basket is in place...since it goes directly through the skimer straight to the pump basket...I don't have the problems as 99% of the stuff I suck up in my pool gets hung up in the pump basket. What about putting a piece of screen in there shaping it to the cylinder shape of the pump basket...I don't know if that would work...but that is the problem with skimmer socks is that they are too light and pliable and get sucked throught the holes in the basket...What do others think...of using a piece of screen door screen...if it will keep nats out it should keep needles out...Any thoughts from others out there?

Beave

Hey Beave,

Yes you are correct...My Shark has a dedicated line and it pumps directly from the shark into the pump basket....So anything it picks up does not go through the skimmer....Mine works with about a fifty/fifty split between the skimmer and the shark....each operating independent of each other but both dumping into the same pump basket. I can fix the skimmer with skimmer socks but using screening might be the answer as when I cut the slot in it where the water and debris comes through it will remain rigid in the basket and not split as an adapted skimmer sock may.......I will give that a try and if anyone else on the site has any suggestions I am open to them...
Once again Beave, thanks for the time.

rtbagna said:
Hey Beave,

Yes you are correct...My Shark has a dedicated line and it pumps directly from the shark into the pump basket....So anything it picks up does not go through the skimmer....Mine works with about a fifty/fifty split between the skimmer and the shark....each operating independent of each other but both dumping into the same pump basket. I can fix the skimmer with skimmer socks but using screening might be the answer as when I cut the slot in it where the water and debris comes through it will remain rigid in the basket and not split as an adapted skimmer sock may.......I will give that a try and if anyone else on the site has any suggestions I am open to them...
Once again Beave, thanks for the time.

Just to be safe...I would wrap some duct tape around the top of the screening just so there are not jagged edges...I would definitely used metal screen not the nylon screen that you can buy at the hardware store...I would look for something more sturdy than nylon screen...It is more strong and I would worry about the nylon would get partially sucked into the impeller...

Let us know how it works!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.