Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Anyone ever worked with Saltron Retro?

1. Back To Top    #1

Anyone ever worked with Saltron Retro?

Hello Folks:

Anyone every worked with this system:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Saltron-RETRO-Above ... 0468454400
    Pool Size - Trying to figure that out. SBMW 2000 (2048 Model) Inground Pool.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Anyone ever worked with Saltron Retro?

I haven't seen that one before. I looks like a slightly improved variation on the ChlorEase.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Hey thanks Jason. It claims it can do up to 20,000 Gallons too. I do not want too say it is shady because of the price, but I mean the price is really good considering, other SWG's in that range.

4. Back To Top    #4

http://www.aquatron.us/cobia.php

This is the same company, but they make this Cobia XL thing. That is a very interesting looking product.

I just got a feeling that having a machine do two things at once, might back fire however.

5. Back To Top    #5

That might not be a good look. The Cell Life on this thing is 208 days total. Which in reality depending on the weather here in GA, we get about 4 summer months a year. The Cell Life is only 2 years. Is that average?

6. Back To Top    #6

That is about half of what the others I've seen claim.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Here is a response from the seller of the Saltron Retro, when asked about how long is the cell life, cost of a new cell and where I can buy one from:

Dear immaculute,

Hi it has a one year warranty. Not sure how much a
    new cell would be. This is a brand new 2010 model.
    the Cell cleans itself so it lasts longer then the competition. I hope this helps, JT

- poolbot

To me this sounds suspicious, a sell cleaning itself?

I just do not understand why their nearly $2000 SWG has a Cell Life, and the $400 one does not.

8. Back To Top    #8

Most SWGs are self cleaning these days. Self cleaning means that they reverse polarity occasionally, which tends to cause any calcium scale that might be building up to flake off. The ChlorEase, which is a superficially similar wall mounted unit, does not self clean.

Not very many of the SWG manufacturers actually post their cell life time. The few I have seen are 10,000 to 12,000 hours.

9. Back To Top    #9

THanks Jason. Only reason why I Asked him that question, was because the same company posted the cell life of the Cobia XL on their website.

I am kind of suspcious of the product, the company does not list any info on it at all; however it still is new. I will probably give it a try since I am on a budget, and I really like the idea's of SWG's.

10. Back To Top    #10

I will probably give it a try since I am on a budget, and I really like the idea's of SWG's.
    There is quite a bit of info on the Intex 8010 on this forum. It is a relatively inexpensive way (less then 1/2 the cost of the retro you listed above) to try out your idea.

Good Luck, and Best wishes!!!
    22 x 40 IG vinyl lined, 23,570 gal.
    1 hp. Pac-Fab Challenger pump 300# sand filter
    Intex 8110 SWG, Hayward CL220 offline feeder
    Hayward 250K Btu gas heater
    Aquabots

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanx New2Me. I will do some digging on this one.

12. Back To Top    #12

New2Me. I am going to go with the Saltron Retro. The ease of use vs the Intex 8110 is what made me go with the Retro. With the retro I do not have to hook the device up to the existing pump system, I can just kind of drag and drop.

13. Back To Top    #13

I know what you mean about ease of use!!! I was really intigued by the COBIA system when I first saw it a couple of years ago, but I have never seen anybody that bought one report how they like it, though. I hope that the Retro works well for you, please let us know how well you like it after you've used it for a while! Even though it isn't directly connected to the pump piping, the same chemical reactions will occur, and you should browse the pool school posts on balancing/buffering the water for use with Electronic Chlorine Generators, and maintaining the right FC/CYA ratio . Iv'e been very happy following the recommendations (I'd strongly suggest reading about advantages of adding borates!), and I now have a more Trouble Free Pool!
    Good Luck, and Best Wishes!!!
    22 x 40 IG vinyl lined, 23,570 gal.
    1 hp. Pac-Fab Challenger pump 300# sand filter
    Intex 8110 SWG, Hayward CL220 offline feeder
    Hayward 250K Btu gas heater
    Aquabots

14. Back To Top    #14

Thanks New!

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by manasia
    Thanks New!
    So did it work out for you? I have seen this product on ebay as well but the low salt output and the fact that it does not measure your chlorine level while generating chlorine did not seem like good qualities.
    IG, 18K gal, plaster, DE filter