Need advice on pump kit replacement

Mar 14, 2010
Hi everyone, I need some QUICK advice on replacing a filtration kit for an above ground pool. I was just on the phone with Pentair and unfortunately it was a PAINFUL experience. More on that in a bit.

I'll start with specs.

16'x32' above ground doughboy
It gets deeper towards the middle so apprx 4 1/2' on ends to 5' deepest.

Currently has Pentair CC75 CARTRIDGE with maxim pump 1.5 HP

Within the last week installed 4 sungrabber panels that worked great. One thing we noticed was the PSI changed +5 to 23 with the diverter valve open and +8 to 31 with diverter closed. Any advice on this would be appreciated.

So anyway it looks as if the filtration system will need replacement. This past saturday the top shot off like a rocket... twice. I was looking a replacement parts but it may be cheaper to go with a new system altogether due to other issues (leaks, age, ect.). I don't know how old it is since I inherited it last year when I moved in and have been taking care of the pool.

I was on the phone with pentair and it was obvious the person I spoke to did not know what he was talking about. What triggered this was INSISTING that my pool is 17000+ gallons. I asked how he determined that and the formula he gave was W x H x AVG DEPTH x 7.48. When I politely explained that the formula he is using is for a rectangular pool he insisted that his manager said it was for ALL pools. I won't go into more details as you should get the idea at this point.

So with the information I have provided should I go with what I have now or upgrade to a CC100? Should I stick with a 1.5HP motor or go up or down? Any advice on what to get, where to get it, who to speak to that KNOWS what they are talking about would be greatly appreciated. Also I would like info on WHOLE kits. I would love to hear what my options are.

Please let me know if any other info is needed.

BTW I would like to say that I learned SO much from this site. I purchased the chem kit from here last year and had a LOT of fun with it (I entertain easily).

Thanx again in advance for your advice.

I'd definitely go with a larger filter if I was going to replace it. However a 3/4 or 1hp pump would be large enough. Even a 1/2hp would probably be fine. Whatever pump I went with I'd make it a 2-speed. That gives you a lot more options about how you want to operate it.

Wow!! Ask for quick advice and...
Ya sure doesn't monkey around here!! Thanx for the quick reply!!

A few more questions if you don't mind and I apologize if it seems like I don't know what I'm talking about. Hopefully you can set me straight. I do this for my own personal knowledge (and, admittedly, obsession).

So, you would recommend a CC100 with either a 2 speed pump or a 1/2 - 1hp pump.

What does the HP of the pump have to do with GPM? Does the increase in the PSI with the new solar attachments have any factor in anything? Will the increase in filter size and lowering of the HP of the motor show any type of decrease or increase in the PSI? I called a few places that said the increase is normal and not a cause for much concern other than shorter life span on the motor but what concerns should I have? Do you have any recommendations as to what model for a complete kit I should look for? Or are these two separate items that I need to purchase? Any recommendations on a reputable supplier?

Again thanx in advance. I will post more on what I finally hook up with specs and how it is doing. (if that is okay)

All the kits I have found have 1" drain and wash out but I have 1 1/2" spa hose attached to everything. I really don't want to go to the trouble (and expense) of replacing it all. Any suggestions?

Update: well, I have proven to myself once again I just don't know what the heck I am talking about. Apparently what I have written above has nothing to do with the hose connections. Please excuse the embarrassing monumental piece of nonsense I have written above.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.