Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Finally ordered my test kit!

1. Back To Top    #1

Finally ordered my test kit!

So far we've been filtering our water a few days and vacuuming/skimming diligently and I've blindly added a couple jugs of bleach. It's gone from mosquito and frog infested to clearish mint green. No more bugs, clear surface but can only see about 2 feet down. This is our first time having a pool and we didn't properly winterize it (hubby went by pool stores suggestion and put who knows WHAT in it in the fall..and after a bunch of leaves had probably already gotten in it)

We have scooped a ton of leaves out and I think have most of them now, but are diligently continuing to vacuum.

Anyway - hubby wasn't keen on spending the $ on a test kit. I told him we'd check at Walmart for their kit. We checked three stores and everyone just had the 3 way; even checked a few pool stores and their selection was even WORSE..only strips. He finally agreed to order the kit but kept saying "why won't the 3 way work? That's what everyone sells!" sigh....

Tried to explain the whole chlorine/cya concept but it's over his head. Can't wait to get my kit and prove to him I was right lol!

Guess I have a few days to re-read pool school another 10x!
    ? 15x30 Lomart Above ground

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Finally ordered my test kit!

Good for you

It is a great feeling when you water is sparkling like diamonds and you know it is balanced and perfectly safe.

Only a good test kit can put you in control of it
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Along with the test kit if you can, I would pick up the magnetic stirrer from the website. It makes testing so much easier and I actually have fun doing it.

http://tftestkits.net/SpeedStir-Magneti ... r-p56.html

If you do decide to get it you will not regret it. It makes the CH and TA test so much easier.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by mynewpool
    I would pick up the magnetic stirrer from the website. It makes testing so much easier and I actually have fun doing it.
    If you do decide to get it you will not regret it. .
    Couldn't agree more!
    19500K IG Plaster Free Form Pool W/Spa
    Pentair Clean&Clear Plus 420/WhisperFlo WFE-8 1HPmotor/Booster Pump
    Sta-Rite Gas Fired Heater/ Aqualinks RS6

5. Back To Top    #5

That's great! My hubby was up for ordering one after he couldn't find one anywhere either. It is very nice to have and to know everything in your pool is just right.
    Plano, TX
    25,000 Gallons, Plaster, DE Filter, No SWG

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank goodness for the internet and not having to rely on local resources! I can see why people say pools are so much work...the tools they need aren't available! I think this website is perfect for my type A personality! hehe
    ? 15x30 Lomart Above ground