Water has a green "tint" to it....

Feb 8, 2008
Milford, CT
Opened our 22K IG vinyl pool last Wed. I waited too long (recent heat up in CT + mesh safety cover = green!)

Pump has been running 24/7 ever since, along with the LQ and periodic additions of 12.5% directly into the pool.

Here is where we stand:

FC - 6.5
CC - 0.5 (this is weird, it fluctuates between 0 and 0.5 from test to test)
pH - 7.4
TA - 40
CYA - 0 (I added some on Thursday, waiting for it to show up)
Overnight FC test - 1.0 ppm drop

The problem Im having is the water is getting clear but it seems to have a green "tint" to it. Ive had algae problems before, and as time goes on the water will turn blue/green, then clear. Right now the water looks somewhat clear but against the white colored liner the green tint looks kind of like diluted antifreeze.

The overnight FC test results are "OK" but right on the edge (FC went from 7.5 to 6.5). With 0 CYA I was aiming for a shock level of about 8 or 9 ppm, and have been good about holding it there.

Im still going to keep the FC up but figured Id ask here because the coloring seems odd to me.

Thanks in advance.

-Chris

JohnT said:
Have you vacuumed yet?

Oops forgot to mention that.

Yes, Ive vacuumed twice, each time directly to waste (I know, waste of water but I find its just easier to make sure everything gets taken out of the pool instead of possibly bypassing the filter and getting suspended in the water). There is a little junk on the bottom but not much left at all.

Also been brushing the walls and floor periodically, that might be where some of the junk on the floor is from....just settling after being disturbed by brushing.

You should raise TA up to around 70.

If the green tint goes away on it's own then it isn't anything to worry about. If the green gets stronger as the water continues to clear up then there are some things we can try to get rid of it. Most likely it is just a tiny bit of algae that didn't bleach out from the chlorine that is suspended in the water from when you brush.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.