2" SAND FLOOR OR 2" SAND FLOOR W/ HAPPY BOTTOM PROS VS CONS

roddbp

Apr 21, 2010
St. Francis,MN
I have more questions for current pool owners. When the weather dries up and temp. warms also, I will be continuning on my project. I am considering a 2" +/- sand floor with the happy bottom over the top. Is that over kill, or will it provide a better floor and possibly extend the life of the beaded liner?

Thanks for the info. I am going to try and get this thing up thid weekend, weather permitting.
It is to late though get have the happy bottom in tome, however, I have talk to a few people who have used
a carpet pad under their liner and have had very good success.

Ours has lots of "toe divots" from the installers failing to compact the sand very well. All the dust/dirt/pollen settle in them...I think some sort of barrier would have made a big difference - foam cove too... we don't have that and our sand cove has washed away in some areas...

That is good to know. I only want to set this pool up 1 time. I am some-what of a perfectionist and want to do the DIY job right the first time. I do have the foam cove that I am going to be using. I am also looking to aviod the foot prints in the pool.

Just be careful with the carpet pad, especially if you want to "do it right the first time" because carpet pad will rot under your liner after contact with moisture in the ground. Even with sand under it, it will conduct moisture from the ground underneath. I am also in Minnesota and I know that with the winter/spring thaw cycle, the ground will move a bit and moisture will wick up. At at some point you will no longer have that padding there. You can get overnight on the Happy Bottom or other appropriate materials from several merchants and it is manufactured to be used under a pool and be in contact with the moisture. The carpet padding does work ok under the Intex Easyset and Metal Frame pools because they are not permanently/long term installations so the pad is stored for the winter/spring thaw. JMHO -

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.