First swimming pool! intex Ultra frame 20ftx48in

tatertot09

LifeTime Supporter
May 4, 2010
Lenoir City TN
So, I am a first time pool owner, have always wanted one... and I saw this pool for just at 500 bucks... I figured hey why not give it a try... if I like it I can get a nice one down the road right? So here are the photo's of the pool installation... I was lucky enough to live next to a nursery and they have plenty of bob cats laying around... (they leveled the ground for free, as long as I removed the sod... they are even coming back to pick up the left over dirt after we use what we can! ) If anybody has any recommendations for maintaining one of these.. that would be fantastic! I believe we are going to invest in a better filter in a few weeks once we see how this one goes...

IMG_0534.jpg

IMG_0535.jpg

IMG_0536.jpg

IMG_0537.jpg

IMG_0538.jpg

IMG_0539.jpg

photo-1.jpg

Regarding maintenance... you're talking something on the order of 9000 gallons here, which is at the high-end for the small pools guide, but it's still a great summary of one technique for handling a pool like this.
pool-school/temporary_pool_guide

I'd say, pick up about 5lb of dichlor (don't add it all at once!) and then when that's gone, switch to bleach.
--paulr

Tater,
Congrats on the new pool and for finding TFP!
I have the same pool and with the help of the fine folks here, have enjoyed taking care of it.
As far as a pump/filter $$ goes, you can spend 50.00 on a well used from craigslist to 1200.00 from the pool store.
Myself - I got mine off of Ebay for 125.00 I think. I now use http://www.searchtempest.com to search craigslist.
There are 3 main types of pool filters -
1. DE
2. Cartridge
3. Sand
Each has it's plus and minus side.
Get yourself a test kit for testing the water.
Read Pool school.
Have fun!
Mike
I have a cartridge and love it, I swap carts about every month takes about an hour and I am done.

It varies - you don't need a very large pump so you could find 1/2 hp with sand filter or even 3/4 hp for less than $300 brand new, and you might be able to find a better price for something similar slightly used on CL or EBay...just make sure it's for an AG pool and don't go too small on the filter.

When it comes to filters, bigger is better, but when it comes to pumps you won't need more than 3/4 hp, 1 hp is even a bit large.

I had this same pool last year ....great for the price .......but the pump/filter and i use that term loosely ; is Crud !!! what you need is a hayward xstream cart .filter and pump combo and a zodiac ranger vacuum ; perfect for that pool ....trust me been there done this !! on your way home from the pool store stop at lowes and get a 24' round solar cover and enjoy that cheap warm and clean pool !!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.