What to do first and with what?

May 1, 2010
I started a citric acid cleaning yesterday afternoon and this morning the pool looks great. Now I want to start to rebalance but I don't know what to do first or what chemical to use. I've put 2 qts of HTH Metal Control so I think I'm OK to start the SWG or add bleach without the stains returning but what about the TA and pH which are low as expected.

The TA test started turning after 3 drops and fully turned after 4 so guess it's about 35.

The PH test was less than 7 and it took 16 drops for the base demand test to reach 7.5. If I use the Taylor table for soda ash, I come out with 10.25 lbs (I added the amount for 10 drops plus the amount for 6 drops). Backing that into the pool calculator gives me a pH of about 6.1.

I have baking soda and I have Borax, but I don't have any soda ash.

So does anyone have an idea of what should I do first and what I should use? When can I start adding chlorine (SWG or bleach)?

Try not to do anything that will raise the PH or TA for a couple of days (unless the PH is currently below 6.9). Do start adding chlorine, ie turn on the SWG, but turn it on at a significantly lower percentage than you would normally use.

The idea is to take your time and not do anything to drastic for the first couple of days while the sequestrant is still in the process of binding to the last of the metal in the water. And even after that you want to move slowly in case you didn't add enough sequestrant.

OK, thanks guys.

From what I can tell, the pH is around 6.2 so I'll start to slowly add some Borax because I'm adding boric acid anyway next weekend to fully utilize the BBB method. I'll check the pH to make sure I don't go above 7.2 as noted in the stain removal procedure.

I added some HTH Algae Guard but I'll start the SWG at about 1/2 of what I usuallly run.

I'll also add another 1/2 qt or so of HTH Metal Control. From the stain removal procedure it doesn't look like you can have too much sequestrant.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.