Just opened Friday, pump broken, what to do?

May 22, 2009
When we opened on Friday we couldn't start everything up because we needed to add water. We've been doing that over the weekend and was trying to finish the fill up today.

Well, DH went out to check and there was water pouring our of our pump (it was not on). It was coming out of the part behind the basket. It's sort of a verticle circle where the basket part hooks to the motor part. There are several bolts? plugs? there and one is missing or broken or something.

So now I have to call the pool store to have it fixed. I hope they can come out tomorrow. If not, I may have to disconnet it all and take it to a place down the road that fixes pool pumps.

Anyway, is there anything I can do in the meantime to circulate the water (we have sumbersible pump) or do something to keep the water from getting green, algae growing etc? It's already looking worse than it did when they opened it on Friday.

I can't be sure from your description, but it sounds like one of the drain plugs was removed and never replaced. If water is coming out of a threaded hole in the side of the pump you just need to put the drain plug back into the hole to seal it off. It is very common for the drain plug to be stored in the pump strainer basket for the winter, though it could have been put somewhere else.

IMG_0700.jpg

Wasn't anything in the basket.

Ok, I finally found a parts schematic online. It does look like a drain plug/o-ring. I'll try and see if it's something that needs tightened or if it's missing. I have no idea where it could be. The pump doesn't get moved except to take it to the basement at the end of the season and brought back up at the beginning of the season.

yea missing the plug 3/8 or 1/2 by the looks, pool store should have this in stock . If for some reason they dont go to the hardware and buy one. FYI a plug with a o-ring near the top of the treads and a kind of built in washer is called a boss o-ring fitting.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.