Skimmer question

Aug 22, 2009
Largo, FL
This is my skimmer, the valve on the right has me a bit puzzled. The black hose is from the filter, the grey is to the return.
100_6017.jpg

In it's current position, let's call it up going with the pointy "handle" of the valve-stem, the return flow is normal.
To the left it starts some kind of waterfall thing, there's no weir or place to attach one as far as I can see.
Down and the return shuts off, is this a backwash setting? <-- that's my first question.
My other question is about the waterfall thing, does that serve the same purpose as the weir door?

Or am I totally clueless?

This will be my first spring opening, uncovered the pool yesterday, once I replace/repair the leaky return jet, time to fill and bleach the green out!

That isn't a standard skimmer, it must be one of the fancier models. Do you know the model name and/or brand of the skimmer?

I suspect the "waterfall thing" is a place where you can place a trichlor tablet without worrying about removing it when the pump is off. But I can't be sure without either a model name or a better photo of where the waterfall is happening.

On the Basket cover is a big "W" so I'm guessing waterpik maybe? I can't find anything in regards to a name or number.
The waterfall thing is a long narrow outlet on the top of the intake, facing the pool, there's nowhere to put anything and it only works when the valve is in that "sideways" position. The more I look the more I think it might be for aeration and it just looks neat.
I'll try to take a picture of it in action later, I need to pick re-agent refills for my test kit.

drewspool said:
Down and the return shuts off, is this a backwash setting? <-- that's my first question.
My other question is about the waterfall thing, does that serve the same purpose as the weir door?
Alright, now that we know what it is, hopefully we can answer your questions correctly.

No, that valve doesn't really have anything to do with backwashing. It just lets you turn that fountain/waterfall effect on and off.

No, the fountain/waterfall doesn't do the same thing as a weir door. It is really just decorative, and also handy if you want to cool the water and/or aerate the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.