Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Skimmer question

1. Back To Top    #1

Skimmer question

This is my skimmer, the valve on the right has me a bit puzzled. The black hose is from the filter, the grey is to the return.

In it's current position, let's call it up going with the pointy "handle" of the valve-stem, the return flow is normal.
    To the left it starts some kind of waterfall thing, there's no weir or place to attach one as far as I can see.
    Down and the return shuts off, is this a backwash setting? <-- that's my first question.
    My other question is about the waterfall thing, does that serve the same purpose as the weir door?

Or am I totally clueless?

This will be my first spring opening, uncovered the pool yesterday, once I replace/repair the leaky return jet, time to fill and bleach the green out!
    24' AG, 2 hp 2sp brand new (Aug 09) cartridge filter & pump.
    Loads of pool toys and a very impatient little girl who wants that pool ready yesterday!. :)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Skimmer question

That isn't a standard skimmer, it must be one of the fancier models. Do you know the model name and/or brand of the skimmer?

I suspect the "waterfall thing" is a place where you can place a trichlor tablet without worrying about removing it when the pump is off. But I can't be sure without either a model name or a better photo of where the waterfall is happening.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

On the Basket cover is a big "W" so I'm guessing waterpik maybe? I can't find anything in regards to a name or number.
    The waterfall thing is a long narrow outlet on the top of the intake, facing the pool, there's nowhere to put anything and it only works when the valve is in that "sideways" position. The more I look the more I think it might be for aeration and it just looks neat.
    I'll try to take a picture of it in action later, I need to pick re-agent refills for my test kit.
    Loads of pool toys and a very impatient little girl who wants that pool ready yesterday!. :)

4. Back To Top    #4

The big "W" is likely Waterway.

From the picture, I am guessing, since it match anything in my product book, that it is a variation of a venturi skimmer made specifically for the pool manufacturer's AGP pool kit

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

5. Back To Top    #5

By blind luck (and google), I've figured out it is indeed a waterway skimmer, only part number I can find is on the lid though.
    Here's a couple better pictures of it.
    and in action:

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome to TFP!!

Looks like a AG version of a Genie, where the skimmer also acts as a return.

Watch your pH and alkalinity as this system will cause a bunch of aeration!
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by drewspool
    Down and the return shuts off, is this a backwash setting? <-- that's my first question.
    My other question is about the waterfall thing, does that serve the same purpose as the weir door?
    Alright, now that we know what it is, hopefully we can answer your questions correctly.

No, that valve doesn't really have anything to do with backwashing. It just lets you turn that fountain/waterfall effect on and off.

No, the fountain/waterfall doesn't do the same thing as a weir door. It is really just decorative, and also handy if you want to cool the water and/or aerate the pool.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School