20 year old Hayward Automation system has finally died

djw

Gold Supporter
Apr 17, 2010
Colleyville, TX
It looks like my 20yo Hayward 2100 Pool Control System main board has given up - can't turn on my equipment, it seems to be in a loop and unresponsive and can't be reset. So I am looking for a new automation system of some kind. I need to move relatively quickly as my pump is down at present unless I get an electrician out to wire around the controller to go direct to the pump's own controller. A new mobo for this might fix it but these are getting really hard to find and still they're wearing out.

I have to control this equipment on the pad, much of it has been upgraded over the years but it is still all generally Hayward:

1. Hayward TriStar VS Pool pump
2. Hayward EcoStar VS pump on the waterfall/slide feature
3. Hayward/AquaRite Salt Chlorinator/T-15
4. Two Hayward valve actuators (switch between pool and spa)
5. Hayward IDL400 heater
6. Polaris pump (sort of a legacy device)
7. Incandescent Spa light circuit
8. Incandescent Pool Light circuit
9. Spa Blower circuit

This system has water and air temp sensors, two wireless controllers that turn on the spa, change temps, turn stuff on and off, and a 4 button spa-side controller to turn the spa blower/temp/pumps/lights on and off. But I do not really touch much of it and leave it on autopilot unless someone wants the spa or waterfall on.

To be honest, I do not run the system in any complex sort of way. The pool is large enough that in the summer I have to run the pump almost all day to get sufficient sanitation out of the T-15 cell. But that is ok.

Can anyone suggest the right replacement system?

I have a Hayward Omnilogic HLBASE. I'm fairly happy with it, although it has required replacing the main board (MSP) after I had it for just over three years. User interface at the panel isn't the greatest, but the phone app is decent and it does everything I need it to do.

I believe this is the manual for your main pool pump:

I don't have exactly the same pump, but glancing at the manual the procedure for changing the pump configuration so you can control it from the pump user interface seems pretty much the same as mine. If you remove the user interface, there will be a connector that may or may not be plugged in. If it is plugged in, unplug it then remove the three screws from the faceplate underneath the user interface to expose the wiring compartment. On the DIP switch, move switches 1 and 2 to the on position, then reassemble everything (making sure to plug in the connector of course). When you apply power, the user interface should boot up and you can control it from there.

Since you have mostly Hayward products it makes sense to stick with Hayward for automation. Like @cptkirk I have the OmniLogic. It may be overkill for what you need as it’s the top automated system by Hayward. I believe the Ominhub may provide you what you need as well for a better price. There are others on the board with more knowledge so I would wait until they chime in as well..;)

I did find the spa side 4 button control was shorting a connection that caused the lockup in the control board. Once the spa side control was disconnected, I got the rest of the controller to run as normal, taking the urgency out of the replacement.

I'm still wanting to replace it with (unless someone has a good reason for changing brands) another Hayward controller, OmniLogic or OmniPL. Any info or sightings in the dfw area appreciated.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.