butterblum

Oct 1, 2022
Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi - I was hoping to close my pool this weekend, but may not have a vacuum because my pump has started to trip my GFCI breaker. Initially, it started to trip after about 5-10 minutes of run time after resetting the breaker, but now it will typically trip in under a minute (after the pump has spun up).
I have a Pentair Superflo VS (120/115V model), and I have had no issues up to this point - I installed it last June.
I noticed that it had run dry for about 5 minutes today due to low levels in the skimmer, but it didn't trip at that point - I adjusted the input to the bottom drain, and walked away. When I came back an hour later, it had tripped the breaker, but the strainer basket was full of water.
There may be some new noises coming from the pump, but not any obvious failure (bearings, etc.). I know that some people have breaker issues with the Pentair pumps due to the variable speed controller, but I would tend to think this isn't my issue since it just started happening.
Any idea what this could be? Seals? Capacitor?
I just need 15 minutes of vacuum time to finish closing the pool.
Thanks

Wellcome to TFP.

Replace the breaker with a non-GFCI breaker as a test and to get your 15 minutes of runtime as long as no one is swimming in the pool.

Check the pump electrical connections for corrosion.

Over the winter remove the motor and check for signs of corrosion or water leaks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.