2 vs 3 returns

Aug 30, 2015
Massillon /Ohio
Hi,

We had a new IG pool installed in May 2015. This was our first pool ever ... it's an L shaped 38x18x26. No main drain. As we were looking over our contract, we noticed it says our pool will have 2 Skimmers and 3 Returns. Well he installed 2 Skimmer and just 2 returns. Is that something we should be concerned about? Right now there is a return in the deep end and one in shallow end. I think the other one was to go near the steps in the "L" area. What are your thoughts? Big deal, not a big deal? Should we ask to be compensated for the missing return? He wants us to sign a form holding him harmless from anything ... should we sign it?

Todd and Bernadette

I don't have an opinion about the missing return, but what is it you are getting for signing the form? In other words why would you sign such a form? Are you recieving something in return?

At this point it is too late to do anything about it as there is no reasonable way of adding a return.

You should discuss this with your PB and see if there's some form of compensation. There's no way to know if you circulation will suffer or what impact this might have but missing the installation of a return is a pretty big screw up in the plumbing layout. I'm actually quit surprised no one noticed this??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

" He wants us to sign a form holding him harmless from anything ... should we sign it? "

I would think he wants this as he knows he has not lived up to the terms of your contract?
He owes you a return or some form of compensation

We are a pool care forum. You need to discuss this with a lawyer. You need to find out what all in your build contract has not been fulfilled and what you can do about it. Then you need to find out if there is any obligation on your part to sign anything the builder is asking you to sign and what ramifications there are if you do sign it.

We can offer opinions but I am guessing few or none of us are licensed to practice law in Ohio. You need professional advice on this.

From my HTC One via Tapatalk

Please do not sign any "hold harmless" agreement. Your contract is with the PB, which means the PB has to honor their contract. By you signing an agreement, you may be waiving any rights under the terms of the contract. We are a pool forum as mentioned previously, but I would contact an attorney. If you find out later that the extra return jet is causing issues with the pool, you could have recourse. You at the moment are in the drivers seat.

Thanks everyone. Sorry if i implied i was looking for legal advice ... i wasn't. I just wanted opinions on whether the 2 vs 3 returns was a big deal and if it was normal for a PB to ask for someone to sign off on a pool build. Like i said, we have never had a pool before and right now, we do not necessarily trust our PB. I appreciate everyone's opinions ... and fully recognize it is not legal advice.

The sign off itself isn't unusual, most PBs require that you sign off on each payment including the last one which essentially says that you accept the work and workmanship that has been done and you release the PB from any liability not covered under the warranty.

What is unusual here is your circumstance (2 returns as opposed to 3) and that circumstance requires legal counsel and possibly some form of arbitration should you request compensation for the error.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.