2 HP super pump replacement options

poolH2O

May 8, 2020
New Jersey
Hello,
The Hayward pool pump model sp1615-z-1-meg stopped working and humming, after few minutes circuit is tripping due to overheating. Not sure if it's worth the time to repair myself or get it repaired for significantly less cost than new one. I can't seem to find exact model replacement, so I would really appreciate any suggestions for the equivalent replacement pump and the best place to purchase one. I already removed it, it was just 4 bolts and wiring connection. Thanks in advance.

Have you considered replacing with a two speed or variable speed motor?
Check Inyopools for a straight replacement or options for two speed or variable speed motors.

Have you considered replacing with a two speed or variable speed motor?
Check Inyopools for a straight replacement or options for two speed or variable speed motors.
Thanks for the quick response. I did check Inyopools...closest I could find is this one which comes with a strainer part that I don't need. Also, not sure if this would be an exact replacement.

The other option is to replace only motor which will require a few more parts.

I just want the replacement process to be simple, like 4 bolts I removed and wire connection if VS or two speed can fit the same way without making adjustments to plumbing then it's not a problem.

I replaced a 2hp WisperFlo single speed pump with a 1.5hp VSpeed Superflo pump (both Pentair) and have no regrets. Power here is expensive and the savings are significant. My pool system is simple, no water features or floor cleaning only skimming and chem mixing required from my pump.

I was thinking only the motor. No plumbing required. The motor you linked to, look on that page for California Title 20 replacements.
Even if you go with the single speed this time, come July 2021, when you need to replace the motor, you will have to use a multi speed motor. Single speed pool pumps of 1.1THP and greater will be no longer sold after July 2021

I replaced a 2hp WisperFlo single speed pump with a 1.5hp VSpeed Superflo pump (both Pentair) and have no regrets. Power here is expensive and the savings are significant. My pool system is simple, no water features or floor cleaning only skimming and chem mixing required from my pump.
Same here, I just need a pump to push water through DE filter. The robotic cleaner does so good job of cleaning that I didn't realize entire week pass by that my pump is not functioning anymore. This pentair pump will require some re-plumbing, would be better to find something that I can just switch using 4 bolts.

I was thinking only the motor. No plumbing required. The motor you linked to, look on that page for California Title 20 replacements.
Even if you go with the single speed this time, come July 2021, when you need to replace the motor, you will have to use a multi speed motor. Single speed pool pumps of 1.1THP and greater will be no longer sold after July 2021
So I think I found the page (California Title 20 Compliant Pool Pumps & Motors - INYOPools.com), now I need to figure out which pump will be an equivalent replacement and a straightforward connection using 4 bolts. And also a list of other parts enclosing impeller that is needed to make an attachment with Strainer basket.
I drove to local pool store, they are offering century 2hp motor and whatever parts needed to make that 4 bolt connection to strainer assembly for $469 + tax. Not sure if it is a good price (?) considering whole Hayward assembly with strainer basket is $599 on Inoyopools. Good thing is that I can pick up and replace right away if I decide to purchase.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.