2 for 1?

jonjmills

Jul 14, 2015
Houston
My pool pump is about 12 years and after replacing the shaft seal from a leak, it is still leaking very slowly. I suspect the seal plate has a crack. I also noticed my booster pump has a leak at the shaft seal/bearing. Instead of replacing the plate, I am looking at getting a new pentair VS pump.

My question is this, is it possible to replace both the pool pump and the booster pump with a single pump? I suspect not with the how the plumbing looks but hoping the smart people here will tell me otherwise. :)

jblizzle

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 19, 2010
Tucson, AZ
If the booster pump is for a pressure cleaner then no you cannot replace both with one pump. The pressure side cleaners that use a booster require a low flow and high pressure which is only achievable with the booster pump.

And this is why I boosted pressure side cleaners are so inefficient since you need to have two pumps running at the same time. I would consider abandoning it and getting a robot or something maybe with a single vs pump.

jonjmills

Jul 14, 2015
Houston
I had a feeling that was the answer. I have wanted a robot for a while, but pretty sure the wife isn't going to go for that this year with cost of the new pump. Maybe I can swing it for next season.

YippeeSkippy

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 17, 2012
Evans, Georgia
How much is the new booster pump? If you don't get that, the robot might pay for itself almost. And buying just one Variable Speed pump will save you tons on electricity. :)

Maddie :flower:

jonjmills

Jul 14, 2015
Houston
Booster pumps are just a few hundred dollars. I will probably just repair the one I have since it seems ok besides the small leak. I was really just trying to simplify the whole setup in one purchase.